"Red" you say?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGM

Reaction score
I made a soleseife the other day (recipe below) and split the batch for colours and FO.
I used the same moulds, so to differentiate the fragrances, I made one pale pink (Winter Rose mica) and one a more vibrant pink (Cloisonné Red).

First of all, the Beach FO accelerated (and riced, too, I think) and I hadn't yet mixed in the Winter Rose, so I was left with a bit of a mess to get the colour incorporated and the batter into the moulds (I always check review for acceleration, BUT in this case, it was part of a "Beach pack" I bought, so I guess I didn't read the individual reviews before buying. Nor before using...).

For the second FO, Salt Water Mermaid, I decided to add the Cloisonné Red mica to the oils in case of trouble. There was no trouble; if anything, the batter loosened up a bit after the FO went in, so it poured very smooth.

At pour, the colours were actually very similar, so I was a bit glad that one was so lumpy to tell them apart.

As it cooled and saponified, the pale pink of the Red mica faded to nothing! I seem to recall this happening when I used this mica 6 months ago....there was briefly pink, then nothing, then, IIRC, the pink came back, but *months* later!

So anyway, here's a pic of the soaps and the mica. The *bottom* one is the "red". (BTW, I'm never expecting true red, as I am very parsimonious with my mica use :p )

Coconut oil = 43%
Olive oil = 35.5%
Almond oil = 14.5%
Castor oil = 7%
43g salt dissolved in lye water

Attachments

• solseife x 2 Feb 2020.jpg.png
    solseife x 2 Feb 2020.jpg.png
    908.1 KB · Views: 30
Wow! That's disappointing. Have you tried red iron oxide? It gives a brick red that doesn't fade, but it does tend to bleed and you end up with pink lather. Perhaps I just need to use less?

Yes, I have a bar with red oxide and white stripes...well, pale pink stripes now ;-) I notice a bit of pink lather, but nothing compared to the bleeding in the bars themselves before they even get wet.
I think this colour will come back; it did the last time. I will keep everyone posted.
In the mean time, note that the Cloisonné Red makes a creamy white bar! :p

Latest posts

Back