Red Sandalwood Powder (Pterocarpus santalinus)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Red Sandalwood Powder (Pterocarpus santalinus) ~ 03/02/09

The first time I tried Red Sandalwood Powder in soap, I got some bad information -- “1 teaspoon of per pound of soap added at light trace” -- since I was making an 8 pound batch, I used 8 teaspoons and my soap came out black and had the texture of coarse sandpaper! YIKES! I had some time this weekend, so I gave it another go. This time I used the guidelines from Emporium Naturals and it came out much better!
Pteracarpus santalinus, Red Sandalwood produces a lovely purple maroon in soap when the soap has been allowed to gel. It is ph sensitive and for those who prefer a higher lye discount (9-12) the color is more red maroon. Lower lye discounts (5-7) produce more purple maroon color. Use 2 gently rounded teaspoons per 5 lbs of oil.

For 90 ounces of oils I used 2 teaspoons -- half in my water portion; half in my oils portion.
I boiled the water, added 1 tsp powder, 4 tsp. Borax, boiled for 15 minutes then allowed it to cool for 3 hours. I heated my oils/fats/butters to 165°F, added 1 tsp. powder, then allowed that to cool as well.
Then I made soap, poured into the mold, insulated overnight, unmolded and cut the next morning.

Result: Pretty pink bars with reddish brown “freckles”. Sweet!
Red Sandalwood Powder.PNG

Yes it looks more orange than red - at least the sandalwood powder I have used in the past.

This timber species (Pterocarpus santalinus) is one of the "false sandalwoods" and one common name for it is Red Sanders.
Red Sanders is part of the Pea (Fabaceae) family, and has fine red timber that is used for making furniture, musical instruments and ornaments.
The tree is in decline in it's native India (demand for this beautiful wood is outstripping supply).

Yes it looks more orange than red - at least the sandalwood powder I have used in the past.

Red Sanders, in the Pea (Fabaceae) family, is not the same as the aromatic (or "true) sandalwoods.
True sandalwoods, in the Sandalwood (Santalaceae) family, have native varieties in a number of countries, including Australian (Santalum spicatum) and India (Santalum album).
Trivia: The Australian Quondong is in the Sandalwood (Santalaceae) family (Santalum acuminatum)

True (aromatic) sandalwood is more orange/tan than red, and is highly aromatic where Red Sanders is red coloured but without the intense aroma.

Near endangered classification:
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/32104/67803072

Article on 2018 reclassification to "near engangered" and discussion on illegally harvesting, and continued population decline, of the tree:
https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/wildlife-biodiversity/red-sanders-not-endangered-anymore-61155

True (aromatic) sandalwood is more orange/tan than red, and is highly aromatic where Red Sanders is red coloured but without the intense aroma.
That explains why mine wasn't orange at all. I haven't had the time to research it. The powder I used is a nice, deep red not very different from the madder root I have actually.

Could also be why it was dirt cheap, coz the aromatic sandalwood isn't - but this sandalwood, and also the true one, has apparently many skin benefits when used directly like in masks.

I wonder if it tints your skin reddish like how turmeric tints it yellowish lol

@Zany_in_CO what was the borax for?

That looks fine to me, Grere. Too bad they don't give the INCI nomenclature. It says it can be used for incense and soap. I'd go for it.

@Grere, just bear in mind that Australian grown sandalwood (as it is listed in your link) is Sandalwood, not Red Sanders.

That’s interesting. When I use red sandalwood my soaps turn a purple light lavender shade.
Where did you source the powder from (out of curiosity?).
(Dye's from this family tend to be both oxygen and pH dependent. There is also variation in the colour of the heartwood of Red Sanders, so purple isn't impossible.)

If the powder has come from China, instead of India, there is also a chance that it comes from a related (still pea family) plant (Dalbergia), which is used for the same purposes and has a similar coloured wood.

Trivia: Indigo is also part of the pea family.

I wonder if it tints your skin reddish like how turmeric tints it yellowish lol

I reckon it would! (Only one way to find out ;) ... please take a photo :D)

@Grere, just bear in mind that Australian grown sandalwood (as it is listed in your link) is Sandalwood, not Red Sanders.

Where did you source the powder from (out of curiosity?).
(Dye's from this family tend to be both oxygen and pH dependent. There is also variation in the colour of the heartwood of Red Sanders, so purple isn't impossible.)

If the powder has come from China, instead of India, there is also a chance that it comes from a related (still pea family) plant (Dalbergia), which is used for the same purposes and has a similar coloured wood.

Trivia: Indigo is also part of the pea family.

I reckon it would! (Only one way to find out ;) ... please take a photo :D)

I am wondering if this is a good place for this question, but here it goes. I have been searching and I am not having much luck so maybe there isn't a super definitive answer. I am using red sandalwood powder in a test soap and the testers found it too scratchy, which is something I have read can happen. So I decided to infuse some olive oil with red sandalwood and add that instead. I have infused the oil now, but is there any particular rate at which I should add the infusion to my soap?

Any advice or direction to another place to seek assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back