Red Sandalwood Powder (Pterocarpus santalinus)

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Zany_in_CO, Jan 24, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2019 #1

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Red Sandalwood Powder (Pterocarpus santalinus) ~ 03/02/09

The first time I tried Red Sandalwood Powder in soap, I got some bad information -- “1 teaspoon of per pound of soap added at light trace” -- since I was making an 8 pound batch, I used 8 teaspoons and my soap came out black and had the texture of coarse sandpaper! YIKES! I had some time this weekend, so I gave it another go. This time I used the guidelines from Emporium Naturals and it came out much better!
    For 90 ounces of oils I used 2 teaspoons -- half in my water portion; half in my oils portion.
    I boiled the water, added 1 tsp powder, 4 tsp. Borax, boiled for 15 minutes then allowed it to cool for 3 hours. I heated my oils/fats/butters to 165°F, added 1 tsp. powder, then allowed that to cool as well.
    Then I made soap, poured into the mold, insulated overnight, unmolded and cut the next morning.

Result: Pretty pink bars with reddish brown “freckles”. Sweet!

2. Jan 25, 2019 #2

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

3. Jan 25, 2019 #3

smengot0

smengot0

smengot0

Yes it looks more orange than red - at least the sandalwood powder I have used in the past.

4. Jan 25, 2019 #4

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

This timber species (Pterocarpus santalinus) is one of the "false sandalwoods" and one common name for it is Red Sanders.
    Red Sanders is part of the Pea (Fabaceae) family, and has fine red timber that is used for making furniture, musical instruments and ornaments.
    The tree is in decline in it's native India (demand for this beautiful wood is outstripping supply).

Red Sanders, in the Pea (Fabaceae) family, is not the same as the aromatic (or "true) sandalwoods.
    True sandalwoods, in the Sandalwood (Santalaceae) family, have native varieties in a number of countries, including Australian (Santalum spicatum) and India (Santalum album).
    Trivia: The Australian Quondong is in the Sandalwood (Santalaceae) family (Santalum acuminatum)

True (aromatic) sandalwood is more orange/tan than red, and is highly aromatic where Red Sanders is red coloured but without the intense aroma.

Near endangered classification:
    https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/32104/67803072

Article on 2018 reclassification to "near engangered" and discussion on illegally harvesting, and continued population decline, of the tree:
    https://www.downtoearth.org.in/news/wildlife-biodiversity/red-sanders-not-endangered-anymore-61155

5. Jan 25, 2019 #5

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

6. Jan 25, 2019 #6

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

That explains why mine wasn't orange at all. I haven't had the time to research it. The powder I used is a nice, deep red not very different from the madder root I have actually.

Could also be why it was dirt cheap, coz the aromatic sandalwood isn't - but this sandalwood, and also the true one, has apparently many skin benefits when used directly like in masks.

I wonder if it tints your skin reddish like how turmeric tints it yellowish lol

@Zany_in_CO what was the borax for?

SaltedFig likes this.
  7. Jan 25, 2019 #7

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

That’s interesting. When I use red sandalwood my soaps turn a purple light lavender shade.

8. Jan 25, 2019 #8

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

@Grere, just bear in mind that Australian grown sandalwood (as it is listed in your link) is Sandalwood, not Red Sanders.

Where did you source the powder from (out of curiosity?).
    (Dye's from this family tend to be both oxygen and pH dependent. There is also variation in the colour of the heartwood of Red Sanders, so purple isn't impossible.)

If the powder has come from China, instead of India, there is also a chance that it comes from a related (still pea family) plant (Dalbergia), which is used for the same purposes and has a similar coloured wood.

Trivia: Indigo is also part of the pea family.

I reckon it would! (Only one way to find out ;) ... please take a photo :D)

Dawni, KiwiMoose and Clarice like this.
  9. Jan 25, 2019 #9

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

10. Jan 25, 2019 #10

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

Shoot I forgot to post! From my supplier it is from India - Pterocarpus soyauxii and it is a rusty red powder before soaping and then after I soap. Here is in the pot and after the cut. I’ve researched that it is pH dependent. So fascinating!
    IMG_5861.JPG IMG_5862.JPG

Dawni, Zany_in_CO, SaltedFig and 2 others like this.
  11. Jan 25, 2019 #11

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

SideDoorSoaps likes this.
  12. Jan 25, 2019 #12

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

SideDoorSoaps

I buy it from a shop on Etsy - Raven Moon Emporium. I think it’s just lovely. I’ve mixed it with an alkanet infusion as well and got a deeper purple and also indigo and got another purple variation.

Zany_in_CO, Dawni and SaltedFig like this.
  13. Jan 26, 2019 #13

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Probably water softener. There's nothing in my notes about why I used it. 2009 was a long time ago. :confused:

szaza and Dawni like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted