Red Palm Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradigm

Reaction score
After my first experience I ordered a bunch of oils and such to go with my new hobby. One of the oils I ordered was a Red Palm Oil, trying for some natural colors.

I got these two ORANGE soaps.

The very orange one is my second batch of soap. It's going to be a very hard bar because I used Lard 35%, Red Palm Oil at 25%, Shea Butter 15%, Olive Oil 10% and Coconut at 15%. I scented with 4:2:1:1 Orange:Frankincense:Geranium:Ylang Ylang. It'll work for a kitchen and bathroom sink hand soap.

The other one I've learned a bit used Red Palm, Olive, Coconut, Cocoa Butter, and a touch of Almond Oil. I scented it with Orange and Vanilla. The streaks are actually the vanilla. I can't believe it streaked that much because it was only 1tsp of vanilla for a 2 pound batch. This was also my first Hot Process. It worked and it smells great.

Like some other threads out there, once this Red Palm Oil is gone I'm done with it. Not a big fan of the Orange scented soaps for the body and with as orange as this soap is it can only be scented orange.

Only posted one other thread after my first experience: http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=44817

Wanted to thank everyone for the hints and suggestions on that one. It's cured and in the rotation in the showers and sinks at the house.

Red Palm.jpg

I use red palm to make a nice yellow but it does fade in time. Your orange colored bar sounds like it would be a really nice gentle body bar, have you tried it in the shower?

wow, thanks for posting the results. i have some blended red palm which looks very red in the bottle, but now i have my doubts. i'm gonna be very honest that the colors are not very appealing.

I think some of your problems with the colors are you used discoloring FO in both batches. That made them turn brownish, it would have happened regardless of what oils you used. There are other things beside vanilla that discolor, Frankincense is one of them.

Here is the soap I made with red palm oil. A low amount make yellow, a higher amount will make a vivid orange. There is nothing in the yellow parts of my soap for color except the red palm, they have since faded to a soft buttery yellow.

8z1x5x.jpg

^^^
that yellow i could live with. thanks for posting that, Obsidian. time to play with my red palm oil :D

I think it would be a great color for a lemongrass bar. This was made with only 5% red palm. You can google red palm soap and find more pictures of what is possible.

@ Obsidian, I think the yellow and the Lemon Grass scent is an awesome idea, those are great looking bars of soap!

I'd read about discoloration using certain EO/FOs, unfortunately I'm a learn by doing type of person. I like the one with the vanilla coloring in it better than the other.

@ seven, the red palm is very red in the bottle, and don't worry about your honesty, I agree they aren't very appealing.

As Obsidian said the first one should be very nice as a shower bar, I haven't tried it yet as it was a CP and has only been curing about 2.5 weeks.

Luckily for me, this is all about me and my family, I've got time to figure out possible holiday gifts. I'm not planning on selling, there's plenty around me who are, and I just want to be able to do it for me and mine. That and my farmer is supplying pig and beef fat, all I have to do is render it and provide him with some soaps.

Tonight I get to again learn by doing, time for my first two rebatches, one with lye streaks, and one because I want to see how it will change if I rebatch it.

Again thanks for the comments, I do appreciate it!

Back