RED Face.....UPDATED with REBATCH PHOTOS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMAriel

Reaction score
Ok, remember last month I made a French green clay facial bar with rosemary, tea tree, and lavender. Well, it's cured and I've been using it this week.....and WOW my face has cleared up. BUT, I'm red faced all day. The first day I used my faced was burning, like a sun burn. Since then it doesn't feel burnt, but I look it. So something in it is either too strong, or I'm allergic to something. I'm at work and don't have the measurements of the eo's, but I used 1oz of clay for 64oz of oils, 8oz of fresh goat milk. Any thoughts? Do you think it's the clay, or the eo's?

I was thinking of rebatching it this weekend. cut the bars into thick shreds and layer them into a new batch of plain goat milk soap or gm with white clay. Any thoughts on how to diluted it with rebatching?

Thanks.

Honesty I don't know; try testing a small bit of the French clay on the small of your arm where they stick needles to test to see if any irritation develops. Test the essential oils diluted in some carrier oil, of course, on spots on your other arm and see if any irritation develops there.

I think that is a good idea. To me it sounds like you are sensitive to something.

are you absolutely sure you weighed everything and or didn't miss even a small amount of any oil or misread your formula. a lye heavy soap would give you the same kind of reaction.

Well before using this large bar, I'd been using a sample bar which was like 50% marbled with plain gm soap. The bar I'm using now, is like 80% green clay mix with the eo's, and 20% plain gm soap. this is why I think it's the eo's.

i have pretty senitive skin, and when i use my husband's face wash, i have that same reaction. i bet it is just too harsh for your skin. have someone else try it out!

I used .5oz Tea Tree eo, .5oz Lavender eo, and .5oz Resemary eo., with 64oz oils. So it's alittle over 2% of oils. I don't that's strong. I think I'm sensitive to one of them. Will do a test.

x

is it possible that you might be rubbing too hard on your face? what are you using to wash with? i would suggest only a cotton wash cloth and GENTLY washing using a patting circular motion.

in some places your skin is only the thickness of tissue paper!

we're not stripping the kitchen linoleum! LOL!

HS, you and I are on the same wavelength today. I change my face scrubby with a wash cloth today and it wasn't that bad. But I'm still redoing part of my bars to see.

x

just a thought:

i bought several of these at a crafts fair and just loved them!
it was a drawstring muslim bag filled with finely grated soap, powdered oats, herbs and e/o's.

you'd run one under warm water, squeezing them until you got some lather and wash your face. i would squeeze out the water and lay flat in the soap dish and use it again that night. it was good for a few days (or until it no longer got suds) and you tossed it.

i might have to make a few when i get home-they were awful nice. you could add clay or kelp or any kind of herbs.....Hmmm......where's my list?

I just unmolded and cut my Rebatched Green clay facial bars (bottom), plain gm soap (middle), and white oils soap with soap gratings (top). All done in my new TOG log mold. I'm pleased with this first try.

GreenclayrebatchedwithTOGmoldcut-1.jpg

GreenclayrebatchedwithTOGmoldcut-3.jpg

GreenclayrebatchedwithTOGmoldcut-2.jpg

GreenclayrebatchedwithTOGmoldcut-4.jpg

Looks AWESOME!! Good job :D

I noticed some of the air pockets you got on the sides of your log. That happens to me too with the same mold. I'm hoping to find a way to combat that. I wonder if slamming the mold hard on the counter would help to break up the air bubbles?

I'll look at the photos again, which layer did you see them. If they're on the top layer or bottom, then that may be because it was very thick when I put it into the mold. I actually was slamming the mold on the floor when I put the top layer in. It traced so quickly I thought I was going to loose that layer. But slamming it on the floor distributed the soap to almost an even level. But you can still see that the top isn't level, it's high in one area and low in others. I'm going to make another batch today to test the 'air pocket' problem.

It looks good enough to eat!

I dream of getting one of those molds...but i don't make big enough batches of soap yet :roll:

Latest posts

Back