Recipe Suggestions ? Want to try something new.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's some thoughts. I hope I'm not completely off base or intruding. Palm oil to me seems more like beef tallow in composition than lard. I like soap with 100% lard. I love it even more with the 5-15 Castor Oil. The best substitutes I've heard of for Coconut Oil in soaping is babasu (not sure if I'm spelling it right) oil and palm kernel oil. Coconut oil has a high concentration of lauric acid, I believe, that makes a stronger bubble. I think babasu and palm kernel oils are high in lauric as well. Instead of replacing Coconut Oil in a recipe with lard, perhaps you could try building a recipe around lard? Soapcalc is fun for that. Perhaps start with 90% lard and 10% Castor? I would decrease water from 38% oils to 33% oils. And add sugar. Again, I apologize for any intrusion. I love soap. And this is my only outlet

I know its an old post but what i the SF on this Ginnys modified recipe? Any water discount?

SF seems to be pretty personal preference type of thing. Start at 5%.
Water discount is also a personal perference start about 30% lye concentration and see how you go depending on colour technique you want to use.

Back