Recipe Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lavender.dreams.candles

Reaction score
I am making a Mango Soap recipe and I'm not really with a lot of acknowledge of oils .... but, does this sound ok??

2oz. Mango Butter
2oz. Shea Butter
41.46oz. Coconut Oil
4.15oz. Sweet Almond Oil
4.15oz. rice bran oil
12.35oz. Distilled Water
9.15oz. Lye
3.5oz. Mango Fragrance Oil

I'm hoping this sounds good.... let me know please what you all think.

no it is not good!! very high cleansing, you need to run through soapcalc.net, did you really mean 41oz oc coconut oil? you need a liquid oil like olive, that is a big batch, did you say you ar just starting out? I can give you a good recipe, start with 30oz batch or so.
also, why dont you use some even numbers. I got less lye also, where did you get this recipe?

do you have palm or castor?
you could do this:
oo 11
po 6
co 9
castor 3
mango 3
water 10 oz
lye 4.4

no, I'm not just starting out....I've made several batches...this is my first attempt to make my own recipe.

so if I cut the coconut oil down to half and add olive oil at the same amount of the coconut oil will that work??

try the soap calc, it isnt that hard, i didnt know what to do either, plug in your oils and if you click on the different qualities it will give you a range to stay in, im not too good at explaining. I have tons of recipes though, so i can give you them, but is fun to create your own? are you doing hp or cp? use 1oz fo per pound of oils, if hp use .5 per lb.
hey im in mn too, im in burnsville, how bout you?

I would agree with honor, about all of the above, including the fragrance oil - .8 to 1 oz of fragrance per pound of oils if doing cold process... that's what I've read anyway.

I'm from MN too :D just close to mpls. let's have a soaping party lol!

lavender do you sell your soaps? and you just started, just wondered.

In my opinion, the key to really learning how to make a great batch of soap is to see it in percents rather than weights. You want about 20-30% cleansing oils, 40-60% hard oils, 20-40% conditioning/moisturizing, 20-40% lathering oils... that is more than 100 because many oils serve more than one purpose. If you go through soapcalc and just look at each individual oil to see what it attributes to in soap.

Coconut oil is great at cleansing. Too much and it will strip your skin of its natural oils that it needs to protect itself from the elements. In my opinion you don't want that because your brain will send impulses for your skin to make a massive amount of oil. You will think you need something even more drying to combat that and the cycle just continues, leaving you with very unprotected skin and open to many potential skin conditions. When you use a large superfat amount to make up for such a high coconut percentage, you are basically using that extra oil leftover in the soap for the bubbles to latch onto leaving more of your own natural oils where they are needed. 20-30% is about the average number for coconut oil - a cleansing level of 14-20 on soapcalc seems to be the normal.

I've been making soaps for awhile.... but, have just did others recipes ..... I really haven't sold any of my soaps, candles, lotions , lip balms, etc. because I keep giving them away to ppl...lol
I've been getting more orders thought to make more of the different types I've made.
I'd have to say I've made at least 45 batches of soap.... not a lot considering the ppl who do this for a business.
I do teach basic cp soap making also....but, like I said I have done other ppl's recipes and this time I just tried to make my own to see what would happen.... Otherwise, I do ask lots of questions and feel dumb sometimes because of the questions....but, how else will ppl learn.

is lavender dreams your company?Better quit giving out to much if ya want to make money :lol:
If you want to design your own soap ,use soap calc, i would always check, even other peoples recipes on the calc., what if they told you the lye amt wrong? there has even been books that have been wrong.

lavender.dreams.candles said:
Otherwise, I do ask lots of questions and feel dumb sometimes because of the questions....but, how else will ppl learn.
You can only feel dumb before the question...after the question you are smarter. So ask away, and we can all get smarter listening to the answers.
(well, actually, *reading* the answers, but you know what I meant.)

I do check the other recipes to my soap calc. that I have ..... I just was going to make a large batch to make a couple of 3lb. molds...that's why I was just fiddling with making my own recipe.

In my opinion, when you haven't even got enough experience to come up with a decent recipe (and that's really the bare basics) you shouldn't be selling at all.
You bought your first CP kit in april 2009... That says enough.

lavender.dreams.candles said:
I do teach basic cp soap making also....but, like I said I have done other ppl's recipes and this time I just tried to make my own to see what would happen.... Otherwise, I do ask lots of questions and feel dumb sometimes because of the questions....but, how else will ppl learn.

Asking questions is not dumb. We clearly have no issue with questions LOL.
But please tell me that you do not try to TEACH CP soap making at this point, when you are just getting started yourself.
That would be foolish. And dangerous.

I know you've made several batches, but your questions - while very good ones for a beginning soaper - are strong evidence that you are still on the steep part of the learning curve. You need to be much further along in your expertise and UNDERSTANDING before you are ready to TEACH soaping or to sell soap. This holds true for other B&B products as well.

Yes, yes we know of the exceptions - people who did so and got away with it. And we know if the disasters. The impact more than just you - they impact the customer (potentially harming them) and the community.

What you are doing is akin to trying to teach sailing a few weeks after buying a row boat.

dagmar88
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:14 am Post subject:
In my opinion, when you haven't even got enough experience to come up with a decent recipe (and that's really the bare basics) you shouldn't be selling at all.
You bought your first CP kit in april 2009... That says enough.

Sorry, I never said I was selling my soaps....I said I was giving them away....Dagmar88 there is no reason for you being so rude ..... I'm going to quit the forum if I have to get rude remarks and feel like I'm not good enough .

please delete me from the forum.... I did not need you to be so rude to me...I was asking questions on how to make a recipe and you didn't need to tell me what I should do.

it shouldn't matter if I bought my first cp kit in april of last year... I make my cp soaps myself now and so you shouldn't have any right to tell anyone they have no right to sell or not what they make.

your a moderator in this forum and you treat ppl like this??

I'm sorry for the DRAMA...but, for simply asking questions I have gotten treated like crap in this forum for being so stupid and that isn't fair for anyone.
This forum I thought was for people to ask questions and get help??

Latest posts

Back