rebatching - too much liquid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
OK - so I tried to rescue my goat milk honey failure soap. (See other thread.) Of the 3 options I gave myself this morning, I decided to rebatch. Silly me, got my T. & oz. mixed up and I added WAY too much liquid. :oops: The good thing is that it's smooth. The bad thing is that it's too soft. It's now been in the oven for 3 hours ...

Two questions:

1- how long can you cook a rebatch? Theoretically, could I keep it in the oven overnight and keep it going tomorrow to help water content evaporate? Is there some reason it should only cook so long?

I've read threads here where rebatches with too much liquid end up never drying out properly inside the bar, being gooey, play-dough like, etc. So ...

2- would turning this rebatch into salt bars work to harden it up to - maybe - a regular hardness?

I've rebatched with a lot of extra liquid and had pourable consistency before. I poured into individual molds and then just set them aside and didn't worry about them for a while. When I unmolded them a week later, they were mostly firm but some were a tad soft still. I laid them all out on paper and just let them dry for a month. They're as hard as any of my other soaps now, they just took longer to get there. I was pleased with the results though of being able to get nice mold detail with the rebatch mixture. I guess it probably also depends a lot on the initial recipe. And.. you can always rebatch again! :)

I recently way overdid the water in a CP batch and the soap turned out fine. I poured it into a loaf mold. It was firm enough to cut and seems to be drying out just fine.

Latest posts

Back