Rebatching soap? need help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SundownWaterfowl

Reaction score
How do I go about rebatching soap? I made some using 1 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/2 cup canolia oil, 2 cups water, and 4 ounces lye. Ive been told that I need to add 10-12 more ounces of oil. Is that right? It was my first batch and I dont want to lose it.

So, how do I rebatch the soap?

I would start fresh with a new batch using proper measurements for all your oils and lye and water in ounces

Since you are very new at soapmaking, I would just start again. I know this is disappointing but I honestly think it would be for the best.

In order to save your first batch you would have to weigh out the same ingredients you did the first time and plug those numbers into SoapCalc. Then you would have to play with the recipe until you had enough oil to use up the quantity of lye you added. After that you would have to rebatch the recipe with the missing oil.

This may be a little complicated since you're not yet familiar with the soapmaking process or with using SoapCalc. I think even the best of us would have a little difficulty getting a satisfactory end result.

Do a little more research - we all have spent much time reading and re-reading about soapmaking.....endless reading in fact!! And the learning process just keeps going.

There are many great and free websites that offer information and instruction on the soapmaking process.

http://millersoap.com/
http://www.teachsoap.com
http://www.soap-making-essentials.com/ - this one is mine

Keep at it and don't let this discourage you. Just remember how you felt when you first made this batch.....you were very excited and you will be again. Next time though you will be able to use the soap. :D

Good luck.

Rebatching Soap

I rebatch soap by shaving it into slivers or cutting it into small chunks and putting it in a crock pot on low. Then I add some milk for vegetable oil based soaps or water for animal fat soaps and let it heat for an hour or so. Then I take a stick blender and start to blend the mix together until I have a creamy batter that I can pour into molds.

Steve
www.colebrothers.com/soap

Rebatching Soap

I rebatch soap by shaving it into slivers or cutting it into small chunks and putting it in a crock pot on low. Then I add some milk for vegetable oil based soaps or water for animal fat soaps and let it heat for an hour or so. Then I take a stick blender and start to blend the mix together until I have a creamy batter that I can pour into molds.

Steve
www.colebrothers.com/soap

I have just started rebatching this past week. I've only done it three times, all when the soap was 24 hours old. The first time, I used a grater. The second time, I used a knife and cut it in small pieces. The third time, I put gloves on and just mashed it up before I put it in the crock pot - same outcome all three ways. I like finding the lazy way to do things.

Latest posts

Back