Rebatching question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought some soft silicone oval molds, and so yesterday I decided the day had come to use them. I did a CP batch with loads of tallow, so the soap hardened a wee bit quicker than I anticipated. The end result is that because the molds were so soft and my soap pretty hard, my soap bars are full of unsightly holes. I have to rebatch.
I am thinking of putting the bars in a pot with low heat, and just wait and hope for the bars to melt.
Question: Is that the way to do it? Or do I have to add some glycerine? Does it alter the original soap?
PLEASE ADVICE

You don't add glycerin but you do have to chop or shred the soap up. I use a cheese grater, works very well.
You might need to add a bit of water, just a ounce or two to start.

It won't alter the soap except for the looks. Rebatch is usually ugly. It won't melt down smooth enough or liquid enough to pour, it has to be smooshed into the molds.

I wouldn't rebatch to try and fix the appearance of a soap, only to fix issues that make a soap unusable.

Good reply, Obsidian, rebatching is UGLY! But the soap is quite usable. I have had good results cutting soap that you are unhappy with into chunks and adding it to a new pour.

I've done rebatch several times and yes it's always a little ugly. I chop everything up and melt/cook in crock pot and mash with potato masher. Takes a while. I add water and a little olive oil to the rebatch. It will look rough like hot process. Add some fragrance right before you spoon into molds or log. Allow 2-3 months to harden. Without the extra olive oil and water it's a no go.
2nkq3jc.jpg

Back