Rebatching question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackznanakin

Reaction score
I have my first soap full of glycerin rivers. It is only 48 hours old, so a this point what would be the best option for rebatching? It is way too soft for grating, and I have read where someone said if its still soft, you can add some water and re-heat it. How much water?
Thanks

First: Glycerine rivers aren't a bad thing. I happen to love them and get excited when I see them! However I understand they aren't visually appealing to everyone.

Second: I would let it sit until it is harder and then grate it. It makes the rebatch process go more smoothly (and faster! more surface area to heat)

I'm with the others, I would embrace the glycerin rivers. It's aesthetic only, so there is no reason to rebatch - then the soap will be even "uglier" than what it is with the glyecerin rivers. (Of course that's JMO, but I think rebatched soap is ugly, and I happen to be with amd on the rivers, and actually love them in my soaps)

I usually rebatch right after I know a soap isn't to my liking or when I need more oils. I cube it up in about 1 inch squares and then use just enough water to cover the bottom of my dutch oven. I have a pretty steep water discount so I want to make sure that I have enough moisture for a smoother mixing. I leave in my oven at 300 degrees about a half hour or so before I check to stir.

Another vote for leaving it or grating it for confetti.
Confetti soap can look great - I don’t like the look of rebatched soap.
When you say confetti soap, is that grating this loaf and then just stirring it in a new batch before pouring it into the mold?

Yes, that's basically what confetti soap is.

I've never seen a rebatch soap that is an improvement in appearance or in quality over the original. In this case, I'm with the others -- "rivers" are a cosmetic issue only and I'd not rebatch for this reason.

If you don't want rivers, soap with a higher lye concentration. 31% is the lowest lye concentration that reduces the chance of rivers by a fair bit. 33% lye concentration (and higher) almost entirely eliminates this issue.

How much did you make? Can you post a pic? Color and scent?

I think some new soapers just really want to try rebatch, and that's okay! If you really want to try rebatch for the sake of trying rebatch, I suggest you set aside a bar or two, then take the rest and dice it into chunks. Wet your knife with water and it will slide through more easily.

I can post a pic once I'm home, (at work just now). I made 2 small loaves, and I really don't want to re-batch just for the sake of trying it,lol. I may keep a loaf and confetti the other. I'm still new and these are just for me, family and friends, so I'm not worried about selling them or anything.

I can post a pic once I'm home, (at work just now). I made 2 small loaves, and I really don't want to re-batch just for the sake of trying it,lol. I may keep a loaf and confetti the other. I'm still new and these are just for me, family and friends, so I'm not worried about selling them or anything.
Then honestly, like dibbles said, don't rebatch. I see no reason, as stated by many of us above, it's only an aesthetic "problem" and has no affect on how the soap behaves, feels, performs, etc., and just in how it looks.

IMG_3278.JPG
I'm brand new too, I don't know how you feel about MP, but I've enjoyed grating up my scraps and putting them in mp, the same that you would in confetti soap with cp.

I'm on the embrace glycerin rivers team too. I really do think they are interesting, and usually look like they were done on purpose. Not everyone feels the same way though and I do understand that. One thing I have learned is this. Cutting a soap and finding something that you didn't plan can be a disappointment at first. Give it a few days and the disappointment tends to fade and you can look at what you've made with new eyes, and most of the time you will like it for what it is rather than being disappointed in what it isn't.

I'm on the embrace glycerin rivers team too. I really do think they are interesting, and usually look like they were done on purpose. Not everyone feels the same way though and I do understand that. One thing I have learned is this. Cutting a soap and finding something that you didn't plan can be a disappointment at first. Give it a few days and the disappointment tends to fade and you can look at what you've made with new eyes, and most of the time you will like it for what it is rather than being disappointed in what it isn't.
Very well said. This has happened to me very often.

Those are lovely and if I had managed that sort of design I would not rebatch! I know that if you want something (such as a sleek even look) then getting something different (glycerin rivers) is disappointing. I was actual striving for glycerin rivers in one batch and didn't get any and I was disappointed. It looks like some kind of crackled antique pottery.

Those are lovely and if I had managed that sort of design I would not rebatch! I know that if you want something (such as a sleek even look) then getting something different (glycerin rivers) is disappointing. I was actual striving for glycerin rivers in one batch and didn't get any and I was disappointed. It looks like some kind of crackled antique pottery.
Thank you!

Back