Rebatch possibilities?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

getagrip

Reaction score
Hello to you all! As my first post, I 'd like to rebatch 4 lbs of soap I recently made up using 60% Coconut Oil,(yeah, I know NOW, too drying :???:) 15% lard, 15% beef tallow, 10% new crisco. It's about 4 wks cured.
I like the microwave method, so my question is, what & about how much could I add to swing it back to a more moisturizing bar? Everything else about it is fine...
Actually, I have several 4lb batches to work on, since I've learned better. Thanks for your thoughts!

Since your recipe is so out of whack, I personally wouldn't rebatch this soap and add a superfat with the hope of making the rebatched soap more gentle. Instead, I'd grate the 60% CO soap and fold the shreds into several batches of a new soap batter. I'd formulate a new recipe so the new soap has a low cleansing number to "even out" the overall formulation. Maybe 1/4 to 1/3 soap shreds with the balance being new soap. You can either leave the shreds intact to make a "confetti" soap. Or you can stick blend the shreds into the oils for the new soap if you want a soap that looks more even and consistent.

YMMV -- I'm sure you'll get other suggestions.

What about detergent? Think mine was 80% CO so yours is close.. Not sure if it would work but maybe look into that?

I also thought when reading that fixing this as rebatching would be tough. 60% is a lot.

If the superfatting isnt too high I would just use that as a laundry & cleaning soap.
I made a 0.5% superfat soap with 50% new Crisco and 50% Coconut and it makes a great dry laundry detergent when grated and mixed with Borax and washing soda. Hubbies itchy skin has all cleared up and my bed linens are SO soft. My friends have used it and asked for more. I use some of the soap bars as stain pre-treatment.
I also grated some up and mixed with hot water and glycerin for a dish soap. Works a treat on coffee stained mugs, but doesn't lather hardly at all (that's hard to get used to) and was really snotty in texture at first, though now its actually pretty good.

Alright-y then! Thanks everyone, live and learn, huh? I'll probably use each of your suggestions, great that my soap "failures" aren't really a waste, after all. Repurposed?? works for me. Thanks, again

Oh, it's definitely not a failure. I think all of us have been in your shoes ... or someday will be. Keep us posted on your adventures with this soap! I'm curious to hear more....

How about a Salt Bar?

Great support here! I've grated about 1/2 the batch and rebatched it with a little rainwater & 80% sea salt. After reading all I could find, it was worth a shot, even though the percent of CO is a little low. It's hard, but haven't used it yet. Now, today going to putting some shreds into another low cleanse recipe. I have a high OO one in mind.
SO...
Any suggestions for what I could do with a 4lb bucket of the same base oils I was too quick to mix up? LOL so much for saving time.
60% CO
15% LARD
15% BEEF TALLOW
10% CRISCO
I'd like figure out the SoapCalc and up the CO% to around 80% for more salt bars but I'm reluctant to play around with the lye thing.. not that advanced yet.

( :cool: I love to "cook" & soaping doesn't put on weight!)

my friend does her salt bars at 70% CO
and i cant remember her superfat but it was crazy high like 20 or 30%

Great support here! I've grated about 1/2 the batch and rebatched it with a little rainwater & 80% sea salt. After reading all I could find, it was worth a shot, even though the percent of CO is a little low. It's hard, but haven't used it yet. Now, today going to putting some shreds into another low cleanse recipe. I have a high OO one in mind.
SO...
Any suggestions for what I could do with a 4lb bucket of the same base oils I was too quick to mix up? LOL so much for saving time.
60% CO
15% LARD
15% BEEF TALLOW
10% CRISCO
I'd like figure out the SoapCalc and up the CO% to around 80% for more salt bars but I'm reluctant to play around with the lye thing.. not that advanced yet.

( :cool: I love to "cook" & soaping doesn't put on weight!)

OK, what you have there is this amount per pound of mixture:

CO 9.6 oz
Lard 2.4 oz
Tallow 2.4 oz
Crisco 1.6 oz

Put that into Soapcalc.net and keep adding CO until you get it to 80%. Click the "ounces" option rather than the "%" option, and add the correct amount of superfat.

I would not try to make all of that into salt bars until you have tried the first batch. If it were me, I would probably use 8 oz of that mixture to 16 oz lard(or you could use olive oil, or equal parts of each), with 5-8% superfat to use some of it.

Back