Rebatch or use as is? Needing advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurinda

Reaction score
Hello- here is my problem; yesterday I made a batch of Salt bars and forgot to put the salt in them!! I am wondering if I should try and shred them and do an oven rebatch and add the salt. Or do you think they would make a good soap as it. They are 80 % coconut oil with a 20% superfat. I know coconut oil is very cleansing and can be harsh on the skin, but with a 20% superfat, they might be very bubbly and good. I could wait for a couple weeks and see what they are like, but I also know if I'm going to rebatch, the sooner the better. Advise please!

I would either let them cure out and just use them or shred them and use it in confetti soaps making some lighter salt bar soaps with 50% salt or less salt. Trying to add salt to a hp batch or re-batch is almost futile because it sets up almost immediately.

@Laurinda, I agree with cmzaha about not trying to rebatch into salt bars, and seeing how they cure. You mentioned 80% CO; what other oils make up the remaining 20% of your batter?

I'd use them as are. I have made 100% coconut bars that I really like. 80% should be nice too.

Rebatching is a huge pain in the butt. I only do it to fix a unusable soap.
Confetti is easier and looks nicer but still not something I'm willing to do most times.

Hello- here is my problem; yesterday I made a batch of Salt bars and forgot to put the salt in them!! I am wondering if I should try and shred them and do an oven rebatch and add the salt. Or do you think they would make a good soap as it. They are 80 % coconut oil with a 20% superfat. I know coconut oil is very cleansing and can be harsh on the skin, but with a 20% superfat, they might be very bubbly and good. I could wait for a couple weeks and see what they are like, but I also know if I'm going to rebatch, the sooner the better. Advise please!

Use then as is or shred them.

@Laurinda, I agree with cmzaha about not trying to rebatch into salt bars, and seeing how they cure. You mentioned 80% CO; what other oils make up the remaining 20% of your batter?
Lard and sunflower and castor oils make up the rest.
Lard, Sunflower and Castor make up the rest.

Thank you very much for the advice. I will let them cure and if they are not a good bar soap, I will shred for confetti.

Lard and sunflower and castor oils make up the rest.

Lard, Sunflower and Castor make up the rest.
Those could end up being nice bars, even without the salt. I'd encourage you to give them a try after six weeks, and if you don't like them, shred them up for re-batch or confetti. I just rebatched a huge amount of shreds, and the resulting soap is already pretty nice. Of course, I'll never be able to replicate this soap, since it came from 4-5 different batches, but oh well! :)

Those could end up being nice bars, even without the salt. I'd encourage you to give them a try after six weeks, and if you don't like them, shred them up for re-batch or confetti. I just rebatched a huge amount of shreds, and the resulting soap is already pretty nice. Of course, I'll never be able to replicate this soap, since it came from 4-5 different batches, but oh well! :)
Rebatching will change nothing with the high superfat and as I mentioned making a rebatch into salt bars in nearly impossible. So use as is or confetti the soap, into new soap with a 5% or lower superfat. What oils make up the 20% is really immaterial at this point. Either you end up liking the high CO oil with high superfat or you do not. Very simple. Give them a 3 month cure min and then see what you think.

Rebatching will change nothing with the high superfat and as I mentioned making a rebatch into salt bars in nearly impossible. So use as is or confetti the soap, into new soap with a 5% or lower superfat. What oils make up the 20% is really immaterial at this point. Either you end up liking the high CO oil with high superfat or you do not. Very simple. Give them a 3 month cure min and then see what you think.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I wasn't suggesting that she rebatch in order turn them into salt bars. I totally agree that such an endeavor would not be likely to turn out well. :)

So here is what I meant:

I generally make small batches with a variety of different oils. When I don't like how a soap turns out, I shred it as soon as I know I don't like it (because the newer it is, the easier it is to shred).

It isn't worth it to me to go through the hassle of rebatching until I've built up several batches worth of shreds to melt down all at once.

Because the total amount of shreds comes from all different recipes and oils, the resulting soap usually turns out to be something I like (and of course, cannot ever replicate).

That's what I was suggesting that she do, if she doesn't like this particular soap after she lets it cure. Hope that clarifies. :)

Latest posts

Back