Rebatch a salt bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never done so in the traditional way of rebatching where you melt the soap down into a gloppy goo and re-mold. What I like to do instead of a traditional rebatch is to finely grate up the salt bar batch and use the gratings either as the 'salt' in a new salt bar batch, or use the gratings as decoratiive confetti in other batches of soap, such as this soap in which I used the salt bar gratings as 'snow' in a Christmas soap:

IMG_3232SugaredSpruce640.JPG

IrishLass :)

[...] I used the salt bar gratings as 'snow' in a Christmas soap:

Lovely! I have mountains of charcoal, pumpkin and many unused soaps, some very mild and moderately soft textured. I wonder if ... :)

Since the non-salt component of your soap likely has a much softer and smoother texture, did the 'snow flakes' protrude or scratch ... or was there any separation as you used the soap?

*-*-*-*-*-*-
... Hope not a problem to also ask; has anyone ever re-batched other regular soaps inside of salt or brine soap?

Last edited:
Confetti soap made with grated salt soap will not be scratchy, in fact, a well-made salt bar will not be scratchy, and should not be. I have rebatched salt bars and it does work but like any rebatching of soap it is not fun not pretty and a general pain in the backside, so making a confetti soap is easier. I have known of some soapmakers that just grated up a salt bar and put the grated soap in a large hole shaker jar using to use the soap instead of rebatching a salt bar reject.

This is so beautiful. Thank you so much. Would I use the confetti in any soap or just the salt bars?

You can use it in any soap. :)

Since the non-salt component of your soap likely has a much softer and smoother texture, did the 'snow flakes' protrude or scratch ... or was there any separation as you used the soap?

Nope, they didn't protrude at all, and there was no separation as I used the soap. :)

IrishLass :)

Back