Raw Tussah Silk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love it. The silk really adds a luxurious feel. I know it isn't cheap but a bag lasts quite a long time. I have been putting a pinch in every batch since January and have barely put a dent in the bag.

I love it. The silk really adds a luxurious feel. I know it isn't cheap but a bag lasts quite a long time. I have been putting a pinch in every batch since January and have barely put a dent in the bag.

Can I ask where you get yours? I have only found one supplier other than ebay. I like to look at my options before I buy :)

Sorry I am late to the post, I purchased my bag from soapmakingresource.com. 4 ounces doesn't sound like a lot but it is actually quite a bit considering how much you need for each batch.

I take a pinch and spread the fibers out thin before putting into the lye water. Then I give it a few good stirs with a spatula and wait for the lye mix to cool. I make sure everything has dissolved before mixing the oils and lye water.

I purchased some off ebay. It works just fine. Just cut off about a quarter size. Sort of the size of your thumbnail. Cut it smaller or just separate the fibers into your distilled water before adding the lye. Add the lye and stir until it dissolves. It will be dissolved by the time the lye is cool enough to use.

I managed to find some in Vancouver (BC) at a place called Sweet Georgia Yarn. They have excellent prices especially if you can go pick it up & save the shipping costs (1/4lb - $13.75, 1/2lb - $27.50, 1lb - $55). Just call or e-mail them for the unbleached tussah silk.They had it ready for me to pick up within an hour.

Alkanet soap with red currant & thyme tea 022.jpg

Alkanet soap with red currant & thyme tea 025.jpg

Last edited:
I received a couple of Tussah silk samples in orders from soapersresource. Every time I use it I just cannot get it to fully dissolve. And I really wonder if much at all dissolves or if it just looks like there is less because its wet. I add it at the very beginning when I am adding the lye and I have it all snipped up very well and stir, stir and stir. Maybe its just me but I won't be buying it in that form. I feel like I am just throwing it away when I wash out the strainer. Now liquid silk on the other hand is something that is of interest to me. But that sure is pricey so I am still in the 'thinking about it' frame of mind.

Do you find it doesn't dissolve at all or that there are just alot of remaining bits in the lye water? I haven't yet tried the silk, so, I can't really offer an opinion or help. I hope I don't run into too much trouble with it. But, it does seem to be gaining alot of popularity amongst soapers, so, there must be a way to get it to behave.

I honestly can't say one way or the other about it dissolving. I add it at the beginning. The lye water gets very hot. I don't chill the lye water to cool it quickly when I use it so that I get maximum heating to help it 'melt'. I can see the silk dispersed in the lye water, but it doesn't really seem to actually dissolve. When I strain my lye water into the oils of course it is caught in the strainer. And I do snip it very small. I don't really want to just add my lye water without straining.

I know there are MANY soapers that are firm believers in the silk 'movement'. But I just am not convinced of any benefits from a scientific viewpoint. Many people say that feel a difference in the soap and theirs melts etc. But its not happening for me. I would like to do more experimenting though. I have wondered if I could just take a large amount and heat it in just plain water and then have a 'silk solution' that I could add a certain percentage to my soaps. Then again I wonder if I actually feel a difference in the soaps I make with it........or is it just a perceived thing because I know that I have tried to add it to the lye water.

This is just my experience of course! And I am NOT discounting anyone elses experiences with tussah silk or their opinions! So please don't think that is what I am saying at all. I am just trying to work this out for myself.

I bought 4 oz from www.paradisefibers.com for under 11.00 including shipping. They have a 5.00 flat rate for shipping. It might have some leaves in it, it is truly raw, if you strain your lye prior to putting in your oil no problem. I have made 15 batches and still have a gigantic bag. This will probally last me years. I have noticed a big difference in my soap, it also add amino acid protein to your soap so added with gm it is awesome soap!

I forgot to add when adding to your lye water you may have to mix several minutes but mine usually dissolves without a problem.

Back