Quick question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terminatortoo

Reaction score
I am about to make 32 oz. of soap using cinnamon and orange EO's but I am not sure how much to use of each one. I heard cinnamon will burn if you get too much. Somebody told me 1 part cinnamon and 2 parts orange but I don't know how big the parts should be. If somebody could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

I don't work in ounces but can tell you in grams, it would be about 28 grams of EO, working on 3%. So that would be approx. 19 grms orange and 9 grms cinnamon.

0.5% is the max for cinnamon.

At .5%, is it even worth it in the end? Does the scent come strong enough to make it worth using? I wang to do a cinnamon and nutmeg soap, with oats. I won't do it, though, if all you can smell is the nutmeg, which, hallucinating aside (just being silly, really) I believe also had some level recommendations. Oh. . . Why!!!?

I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm guessing you only use that small amount because it is so strong! Sounds like you just need to add a dash of cinnamon. Kind of like when you're cooking. lol!

I'm not expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm guessing you only use that small amount because it is so strong! Sounds like you just need to add a dash of cinnamon. Kind of like when you're cooking. lol!

Oh, this does make sense, and it is a strong thing of the world, cinnamon.

I figured it was because of the potential toxicity of cinnamon. If it's because of strength, then that renders my question pointless. : )

It's not that the smell is strong, it's that the oil is harsh on the skin. Imagine rubbing Red Hots on your skin...not fun!

It's not that the smell is strong, it's that the oil is harsh on the skin. Imagine rubbing Red Hots on your skin...not fun!

Okay! This is the point of my original question. . . does the scent come through strong enough at this low a percentage to make it worth using at all?

Okay! This is the point of my original question. . . does the scent come through strong enough at this low a percentage to make it worth using at all?

Yes, it's strong enough that even a bar I made several years ago (cinnamon and orange EO) has a cinnamon aroma but not orange. I used very very little, as I wanted it to be gentle, even less than .5% and it stayed through the gel phase and storage.

It's pretty strong. My husband and I use cinnamon in shave soap. Makes the hairs stand up....great for a close shave! But, a lot of people don't like that. It's a tingly feeling.

Thank you, both, Yooper, and fishes!! That is helpful, since I've always wanted to use cinnamon in my soap, but didn't know if it was worth it.

Fishes, since it is tingly and makes your hairs stand up, that works perfectly for my shaving soap I want to make. You see, mint (I'm guessing peppermint will do alright?) does the same thing, and I actually use a really cool shaving "cream" which I LOVE, and it makes my skin tingle so much, I would love to make a regular soap with it. So, I'm wondering how a mint/cinnamon soap would smell. Yay, fun testing ahead. Here is the shaving cream I use:

http://www.vitacost.com/alba-botani...724742003418&gclid=CLCtipHywbcCFWXZQgodPzUAHQ

Don't let the scent label fool you. It doesn't smell at all like coconut lime. Weird, right? However, the minty smell is lovely. I LOVE it.

So, my thing is, it's kind of expensive, and I'd love to see if I could make my own soap with that same tingly feel. I'm working on seeing what those scents are like together. Thanks, guys.

Latest posts

Back