Questions about using lye outside

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simone

Reaction score
I want to do the lye process outside because I have a small dog and I'm worried about the fumes bothering her. However, I'm also worried I might hurt the animals outside. I have a lot of ducks and birds that come to eat in my yard and I want to be sure that if I accidentally spilled some lye it wouldn't make them sick. I just need to know how to clean it/ properly dispose of it if there were an accidental spill.

If it was me and it was dry outside I would scoop up the dry lye and then dissolve it and pour it down a drain. If the lye was in solution and spilled then I would take a hose to that spot for 5 mins or so.

The fumes are only a problem if the animal is directly over the pitcher while you mix the lye. Unless you pick your dog up and hold her over the lye solution, its nothing to worry about.
Lye doesn't make fumes like paint, its more of a vapor and you can see it when you first mix the lye into the water. It only lasts for a minute or so, just keep your face away from the solution and if possible, mix under a vent. The vapor is very unpleasant to breath, its not something that can sneak up on you. Its painful and makes you cough.

Obsidian, Thanks. I'll be using it inside then. I have a mask for myself, and I can use it under a fume hood as well. I've seen somewhere that vinegar neutralizes lye. Is this something you know to be true? And if so, is that something I should use to clean any lye spills? (I'm not planning on spills, I just want to be prepared.)

You can use vinegar to help neutralise lye when cleaning it up, but rinsing thoroughly with clean water works just as effectively. Never use vinegar to neutralise lye on skin as the reaction between the vinegar and lye can cause further harm to your skin, just rinse copiously with water and consult a doctor if you are worried about anything.

I agree with Saponista and Obsidian. More about choosing the right respirator....

I want to add that if you can keep the lye fumes inside the container while you're mixing your lye solution, you will greatly reduce the chance of getting those fumes on your skin, in your eyes, or in your lungs. I turn my stove hood on high while I mix my lye solution, and I also make sure my container is covered absolutely as much as possible while I'm mixing the solution. The pic shows how I do it. I cover my lye container with a paper towel and stir with my spatula at the edge of the towel while holding the towel in place with my free hand. It really works well. Once the lye is completely dissolved, I might leave the paper towel on the lye container for a bit longer while I work on getting other ingredients ready, but the danger of the fumes passes quickly.

I discard the paper towel in my kitchen trash when done, because it may have a few droplets of lye solution on the bottom surface. If you're uncomfortable throwing it away as-is, rinse the paper towel in cold water, squeeze out the excess water, and then discard.

lyeContainer.jpg

Last edited:
Back