Question- soap molds - pringle cans?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apoemge

Reaction score
Is it possible to use pringle cans as a soap mold? I thought I saw someone else do that?!

Here is the thing. I'm not a professional soap maker. I'm not going to sell my work. About every three-five years I pull out my old recipes and make a bunch of soap. For a family of 5 it's cheaper than buying something wonderful like what I can make.

I make small batches - maybe 5-8 bars of soap at a time. I usually make about I use a few old recipes that I normally use and then make a few new recipes. So I'm going to ask stupid questions.

Just make sure you line it before you pour. That metallic lining can react

I cut the metal end off too. I then tape the plactic lid on for the bottom. You will need to put quite a lot of tape around the plactic lid to keep it from leaking. I have used Pringles cans with great results.

I used pringles can once. they over heated and grew out of the can. wasn't the nicest looking soap but I still liked it. and it was a good sized bar. I would definitely use some kind of lining if I were to do it again. unfortunately I don't eat pringles much, we wanted to try round bars though so I took one for the team and ate 2 cans of the things (don't want to do that again--I am horrible with pringles, cant stop eating once I start)

I have used several Pringles cans.. Didnt have problems with overheating coz I HP hehe and I also did not take off the bottoms nor line mine. I used them as is.

Twice I was able to reuse because the soap slid right out with a little shaking n banging, but I guess that depends on the recipe? The other times I just made a slit on the top and peeled halfway or until I could grab the soap log and pull it out.

Lining them would for sure make things easier though hehehe

They make soaps with just the right width for a person's hands, even a little one like me :)

for those in the states- you can get a 2 pack of flexible cutting boards at dollartree, they're polyethelyne, i use them to line my round molds (shiny side in)
these are what i use for mine-
https://www.homedepot.com/p/VPC-3-in-x-2-ft-Plastic-ABS-Pipe-1203/202300520
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-3-in-Knockout-Test-Cap-39102/100122751
i cut the pipe in 2 equal lengths, so two molds plus the caps and liners for about $11
each one perfecly holds a batch with 32oz oils
FABULOUS! If the polar chill breaks - I am heading out today!

PVC is tough b/c it has no give so it's hard to get the soap out. You can use mylar sheets - check out the quilting section of the craft store - to line them.
I have also found that freezing it for a little while sometimes helps it to unmold easier from the PVC. I've also followed Amanda Aaron's advice (Lovin' Soap) and dropped it on my cement patio a few times to help dislodge it. I have since purchased a custom made wooden "Soap Pusher" to push the soap out of the PVC pipe. It works like a charm!

Also, I absolutely LOVE Pringles cans! They are the perfect size for my shaving and face soaps and I use them all the time. Everyone I know who eats Pringles knows to save me their cans. My kids' friends are goldmines for them!

I also use mine unlined though I've always cut off the metal bottom because I assumed it would react. I think I'm going to try leaving it on since others haven't had trouble!

Last edited:
I have used Pringles cans many times, and I have had soap turn out beautifully, I have had the overheating/volcano problem (see my profile pic), and I have had batches that would not harden in the bottom half of the can and were an ugly mess when I cut them. So, while I really like the size and shape of the bars, they can be a little unpredictable, in my experience.

Pringles makes plastic mini containers now, too, so you wouldn't have to line those, but they aren't perfectly round either.

You might have to cut it open along the side to get the soap out.

I have used both PVC and Pringles cans and I pop both in the freezer to unmold them. I freeze for 1 to 2 hours and they slide out beautifully.

Latest posts

Back