question on EO vs FO amounts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyndham Dennison

Reaction score
First of all I wish to apologize to the admins for not posting correctly on several topics, sheer ignorance is my only cover :)
I am trying to understand the uses of and the amount to use in CP soaps so I hope this is the correct forum and topic to ask this.
I'd like some guidance in understanding the the amt of either EO or FO to use in a batch. If I make a 16oz batch and use either EO Lavender or FO lavender /sage and the fragrance calculator recommends about .5oz would the essential oil which is just lavender be the same or is there a different calculations for essential oils.
I relize that different oils have different strengths and that it can be different for different recipes but a general rule of thumb would be helpful.

The amount can vary wildly. For Fragrance Oils use what the manufacturer recommends. If no amount is given start at 3%.

For Essential Oils check over at eocalc.com for usage rates.

You’ll need t o find the usage rate from the supplier fro FO. They vary quite a bit. I personally fragrance at 6% for the majority of my soaps with FO. There are a couple I can do 4-5% or less. I sell and fragrance sells to my customers. It takes testing t Orin’s what works for you. I don’t purchase anything that is listed as less than 5%.

Latest posts

Back