Question about salt bars.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolyntn

Reaction score
I have two friends with either very oily or problem skin. I would like to make salt bar for them using Irish Lass's recipe as follows:
100% coconut oil
Coconut milk as 100% of water amount
30% fine sea salt as per total oil amount
Super fat 13%

I don't think I can just add the salt and expect it to fit in my mold because that salt is going to take up some space. Should I resize my recipe to accommodate the salt? If so, about how much should I downsize my recipe? My mold holds 33oz. of oils.
Thank you so much!!
Carolyn

I usually use 26oz of oil, for my salt bars I used 20ox of oil and 75% salt and it fit perfectly. Since you're using much less salt, you can use closer to the normal amount of oil.

i always have a silicone mold for small guest-sized-soaps at the ready. if there's too much for my mold i fill as many of these as possible, then slice them after cure into sample-size pieces....

AmyW - thank you for sharing your measurements! I was thinking I might need to half my recipe or something. Your measurements put things into perspective - Thanks!

Paillo and Mickey - I do have small molds but they are milky way and not silicone. I am afraid I would have trouble releasing the salt bar from the plastic. Of course now I just need to run to the store and buy a Wilton silicone mold!!! Thank you for your ideas!

Back