Question about oxides and non bleeding colours

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincanac

Reaction score
Hi there

For some reason, everytime I try to post this - it doesnt show up in the forum, so my apologies if there is a delay or something and all of a sudden there are 3 to 4 posts on the same topic.

I am really desperately trying to find a way around limited soap supplies problem. I live in a rural part of South Africa. I currently buy my M&P base and dyes from a nice lady about 9 hours away. I want some non-bleeding soap colours but I dont think she stocks exactly what I am looking for, I buy regular F,D&C colours from her - and it is limited to basic Red, Orange, Blue, Black, Green and Purple. These are great for single coloured bars but I am getting a little fancy and want to experiment more with multicoloured embeds etc. When I asked her if she had any non-bleeding colours, she said that the regular stuff I buy from her shouldnt bleed - but alas they have, and I dont want to annoy her anymore with my dye-woes.

So my question is - is there a way to fix the colour of your embed? I was thinking that if I bought oil-soluble dye and diluted it into glycerine, this could fix the tint???? The rand-dollar exchange rate is so high that it is somewhat impossible to just buy labcolours from abroad - and with out shady Postal service, there is no guarantee that it will even get here.

Also, I have been reading that people use oxides to colour soap. My Soap lady doesnt stock these either, however I was at the Hardware Store and in the paint section, they had powdered red, green and black oxide. Do you think I could use that to colour the soap. From what I saw there, it seemed to be sold as an anti-rust primer or something. Are oxides, oxides that can be used in both paint and soap?

Or does anyone know of any South African stockists of non-bleeding colours and oxides? Please help!!!

Have you checked with soapnaturally website? seems there were some natural ways to color with things we find in out spice racks and such. You might dig around there for a bit and check it out.

~ear

Here is an Aussie website page with some suggestions for natural additives from your pantry, quite a few will add colour in varying degrees.

May I suggest you experiement a little - perhaps just melt enough base to make a guest sized soap or even just enough to fill one section of an icecube tray and add a little something? You should be able to find the Rooibos tea at least :lol:

Best of luck,

Tanya :)

http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/Na ... -p-22.html

Thanks Tanya

I have exhausted the rooibos, african potato, pumpkin and calabash soap variety. I am obsessed with soap making and my habit needs more fuel - so I really want to try making those silhouette type soaps - but I cant get the colour from the embed to stop swirling/bleeding into the surrounding soap. I want to be able to have solid and crisp shapes. I cant seem to find anyone that sells "labcolors"in South Africa, which is apparently a non-bleeding oil based pigment for M & P soap. So I might just give the oil soluble dye-emulsifier-glycerine thing a shot on the ice-cube tray.

Still trying to find out if the powdered red, green, black oxide from the paint section in a hardware store is the same as the dye that is used in soap. Anyone know?

Tincan

Oxides and pigments are used in everything from paint to make-up. I recently saw a great show on this. My only concern would be the purity of the colorant available at the hardware store.

Until someone who knows comes by, maybe something here will help. :D

1. This place says they sell dyes, bases, fragrances and all you need to make soap. Located in So. Africa. http://www.soapfactory.co.za/online.asp

2. From Soap Natuarally, list of members: http://www.soapnaturally.org/soap_naturally_loc.html Could help by getting to know other soapers in your area. I know South Africa is huge, but these soapers may know other people...... Join the mailing list. There are members from all over the world on the list and someone may know exactly where to get what you need.

3. http://hubpages.com/profile/homemadesoap I think this like a blogger site. Anyway, this is a soapmaker in So Africa. He/She may have good resources. Can't hurt to ask!

Digit

DIGIT

You are THE FIZZ BOMB.

Great links - I checked out all of them, and think I have found somewhat of an answer and emailed most of those places to find out about what I need. I think my idea with the oil colours & emulsifier - might work, cos a few minutes ago I read that the non bleeding colours are made from mixing oxides, ultramarines and micas with an oil base. I am going to try this and see if it works out and if it does - I'll post the ratio.

Thanks again - those links were fantastic!!!

TINCAN

tincanac said:
DIGIT
You are THE FIZZ BOMB.
TINCAN
Thank you, I have been known to melt in the bath tub.
smiley1735.gif

When I use powdered colorants, I mix them with a bit of warmed oils from my batch oils, glycerine or castor oil. Works beautifully. Here are a few links for colorant use:
http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/soap/ColorAdd.asp
http://www.soap-body-and-spa.com/Colorants.html

My only concerns about the pigments/oxides/ultramarines at the hardware store is that they may not be of a suitable purity for use on the body. Maybe check the label closely. I think your best bet is cosmetic grade colors. We are sooooo fortunate in the US for supplies and dependable shipping!!!!!

I know I mentioned this before.....
http://www.soapnaturally.org/subscribe.html

Soapmaker's site in Port Elizabeth. She also has some nice recipes on her site. May share suppliers names. Contact name: Irene Rains
http://www.luxurysoap.co.za/

Place called Harmony Soaps in Gauteng, Phone Number: 082-772-5083 Contact Name: Margaret Sterley. All I know about this place.

Try going here: http://www.wand.com/core/default.aspx
Look under "Arts, Crafts & Hobbies" catagory. You may find something.

Interesting: http://www.timjanwonderjuice.co.za/TimJ ... _soap.html

Last but not least, I know a few ladies in South Africa (Johannesburg, Middelburg, Kwa-Zulu Natal, and Malmesbury) and a couple in Namibia. While they are not soap makers, I would be happy to ask if any know of a place that sells cosmetic grade pigments/ultramarines, or soap supplies in general if you do not find what you are looking for. Just let me know.

Good Luck!
Digit

Thank You and YESSSSS - I would love that!

DIGIT

I have an idea to mix oil soluble powder dye with glycerine and emulsifier - the lady I buy my colourants from says that all she has are the primary colours - I am going to go ahead and give it a try. Your post about mixing the powdered colours with oils confirms my hunch - so I am going to go ahead and test it. I reckon as far as colour options go, I can atleast get primary and secondary colours from it.

I would LOVE to be put into contact with anyone who can help me locate oxides, ultramarines and micas somewhere closer to where I am. Particularly the lady in KZN (Kwazulu Natal), I am based in Northern KZN. But really anyone in South Africa. If all else fails, I might have to get my mom-in-law to send me some from the States (My husband is from Texas).

My "business" e-mail address is [email protected]. I would really appreciate getting in touch with people here in South Africa who would be able to share their supplier information. I dont really sell soap to anyone except B&B's and a few Gift shops, and the occasional acquaintance - I will not be cutting in on anyone's territory - I promise. Just really, really hooked on soap right now!

Thank you so much for your help again. I really do appreciate it.

tincanac said:
Thanks Tanya

I have exhausted the rooibos, african potato, pumpkin and calabash soap variety. I am obsessed with soap making and my habit needs more fuel - so I really want to try making those silhouette type soaps - but I cant get the colour from the embed to stop swirling/bleeding into the surrounding soap. I want to be able to have solid and crisp shapes. I cant seem to find anyone that sells "labcolors"in South Africa, which is apparently a non-bleeding oil based pigment for M & P soap. So I might just give the oil soluble dye-emulsifier-glycerine thing a shot on the ice-cube tray.

Still trying to find out if the powdered red, green, black oxide from the paint section in a hardware store is the same as the dye that is used in soap. Anyone know?

Tincan

I'm going to teach you how to swirl mp. You will need a soap mold loaf like a bread loaf. If making opaque mp pour desired amount of soap into mold. Wait about 10-20 mins until the soap begins to form a thick layer and drop one to two drops of colorant in a corner. Wait a few mins and then drop another drop of another color in the opposite corner. Take a toothpick and swirl the colors slowly and gently. Allow to completely set and do not move the mold. Another method is take (1lb) glycerin soap, melt it and color it. Pour that into your loaf mold. Allow to set for 10-20 mins Melt some opaque base (1/4lb) and allow to sit for five minutes. Pour the opaque soap into the glycerin base and do not color it or allow it to move. If you pour slowly the base will slightly mix with the glycerin and make cool contrasting designs.

I am loving this forum!!!

This is great - as soon as I clean up my kitchen - going to try swirling again!

Questions:

1. Once the soap has formed a thick skin - do you have to remove the the skin layer and then add the drop of dye? My naive idea of how things work is telling me that if I dont - the drop will just stay on the top of the skin? Or do I poke a hole through with the toothpick and put the drop in there?

2. Will the base of the soap stay the same colour as the originally poured colour? Is there anyway to get it to swirl so that it is visible on the bottom surface of the mould?

Everyone on here is so helpful and nice, it always kind of takes me aback! I just said it out aloud for the umpteenth time, and my husband is like: "Okay, I know - you've said it a million times already!" But i cant help it - I cant get over how great everyone is.

Big hug
tincan

Re: I am loving this forum!!!

tincanac said:

Questions:

1. Once the soap has formed a thick skin - do you have to remove the the skin layer and then add the drop of dye? My naive idea of how things work is telling me that if I dont - the drop will just stay on the top of the skin? Or do I poke a hole through with the toothpick and put the drop in there?

*Nope your right either peel off that skin or push it into the soap. With glycerin you will have to remove the thin layer.

2. Will the base of the soap stay the same colour as the originally poured colour? Is there anyway to get it to swirl so that it is visible on the bottom surface of the mould?

*The color will seep all around. I once did it in layers 1/2 and 1/2 and there was a layer wave of orange/white/orange/white.

Everyone on here is so helpful and nice, it always kind of takes me aback! I just said it out aloud for the umpteenth time, and my husband is like: "Okay, I know - you've said it a million times already!" But i cant help it - I cant get over how great everyone is.

Big hug
tincan

Anytime hope I helped some. Just so you know i did smaller batches before doing anything large because I was just screwing with it. Who knew it would work LOL

I just thought of something else. I often melt two different bases one white and one colored. Allow to sit for a few minutes before it starts forming a skin. Once you've colored and scented the bases pour each one at the same time on different ends and go slow. Make sure you do not move the mold at all otherwise it will just meld together.

Re: I am loving this forum!!!

tincanac said:

How did it turn out? We love pics here!!

Digit

Back