Question about lye quantities.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshka

Reaction score
Hello, fellow soap makers,

I've been struggling to find an answer to this question: Is there a regulation on the amount of lye I can store at my facility? (I'm talking about small shop/home soap production).
So far, I would have about 50lbs of lye for soap making, and once I run out, I'd order more. But now, things are starting to pick up very quickly, and I go through that amount of lye within days. (besides that, I'm also living in a soap jungle:) ) It is a hazardous substance, and, I admit, I don't understand these regulations all that well, since I've never needed more than a couple of pounds of lye at a time. Help? :oops:

I would really appreciate your input and advice.

Cheers!

Unless you store 1,000 lbs of lye or more in your "facility", you don't have to do anything according to Federal regulations. (I am assuming you live in the US)? Otherwise you need to report it as part of the SARA Title III "community right to know" act (a copy attached). Local rules and regulations vary. You may want to check with the fire department hazmat department that serves your area. In general I find fire department people more reasonable to talk to than city hall people.

One other thing you want to check perhaps is your insurance policy.

P.S. Somehow I cannot upload the PDF file, maybe this would link:

www2.unitar.org/cwm/publications/cbl/prtr/pdf/cat5/title3.pdf

You cannot just click, but if you cut and paste the link it will open up a PDF document. The chemicals are listed under CAS number and lye is 1310-73-2.

Thank you :)

I make large batches, 18-20 lbs each, and they eat up a lot of lye...

Awesome, thank you for that information! Yes, I reside in US. I'll make sure to keep my lye amounts at 999 lbs :) You guys are always so helpful! :D

Latest posts

Back