Question about EVOO CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalziel

Reaction score
As I have mentioned before I plan on making a 75%EVOO 20% coco 76, and 5% castor oil soap (my first cp batch) I plan on using a 3'' pvc pipe for a round bar. My question is can I sub the water for green tea.

Can I use 100% of the water as a green tea infusion? I dont plan on coloring the soap, just some EO (not sure what scent atm)

what color will the green tea tint the bar? what amount of EO or FO should I use in a 3lb batch of soap?

thank you for any input/help! I have asked many questions and you all have been wonderful in assisting me in making my first batch- but the number one batch jittters get me curious and cautious. I will post pics when i make it :)

thanks again,

Dalz

Bastille is a lovely soap.
Be warned that if you use a pvc pipe for your mould that they are very prone to overheating. We had a thread on here last week regarding this very issue, and the general concensus was that tubes overheat rapidly.
As far as FO/EO's go, what do you like? What do you have?
What are you planning to use this soap for? Do you like unscented? You can substitute green tea for the water, just make sure that it is cold before you put the lye in. I would imagine that yes, the green tea will tint your soap a mild green colour, even more so if your olive oil happens to be green also. And I would also think that because it is quite a strong scent, the "green tea" scent may hold on into your soap, why not choose something that will compliment that smell just incase it is quite noticeable in the finished product. Perhaps lemon, or lemongrass?
I'm sure some much more experienced soapers will offer you some more ideas.

general rule of thumb is .5oz per pound of oils for scenting with eos. some a tad less some a tad more. citrus eo can fade out, and are helped anchoring them with a bit of patchouli or litsea cubia. others may be a tad to strong at that amount.

you can use tea for your lye liquid, but it has been my experience that it hasn't ever helped with the color, it always turns tan and there is very little if any scent that has come thru. it's just the nature of most botanicals to turn brown in soap. calundula petals are one exception to the rule.

I use Matcha green tea. It is a deeper green than regular green tea. The soap starts out fairly dark green but fades to a lighter shade. I also put some of the tea leaves in which turn various shades of tan to dark brown.

I've used a green tea for my Lye solution the last few times and I find the yellowish brown colour it gives very nice. I have one bar left of that batch from september and the colour has nearly faded however.
In a recent batch however, the colour was more green, so there might be some variables, depending on what kind of green tea you use, what strength, and the composition of your oils.

Ok ... postulations of what would happen if i made a very strong green tea infusion and then put it in the freezer til it was frozen solid... then break it in pieces and mix with the lye? anyone tried making soap with ice cubes for water before??? just curious lol.... i wonder what would happen... :idea:

I figure in theory it will make it so the good natural molecules and vitamins etc wont denature with the extreme heat of adding it in the liquid phase?....I know that the lye would eventually dissolve and melt the ice but i think maybe if its concentrated in one area it might be too much heat for my pyrex bowl??

hmmmm

it helps with keeping the lye solution cooler and cuts down the cooling time.

i freeze everything i use instead of water into cubes before mixing it with my lye. just so it doesn't burn or cook whatever else i'm using.

would this recipe be drying? I have a friend who has dry skin, would this be a good soap to use if you have dry skin?

Back