Question About Dimethicone

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TessB

Reaction score
When using dimethicone, do you usually add it to the heat hold oil phase or on cool down?

I have always used it in the cool down phase. Although after recently reading around online with some recipes it appears it should be added to the heated phase and it also does not appear to be heat sensitive.

I've been told that if you add it to the heated phase it becomes gel-like and difficult to mix in, so I've only added it during cool down.

I've been told that if you add it to the heated phase it becomes gel-like and difficult to mix in, so I've only added it during cool down.

Thanks for the reply Genny!

I read that before and that is why I always added in cool down too. But I am not sure about it. Again only because some of the recipes from ingredient sellers online I have been reading advise to add to the heated phase.

Maybe I will have to try it at some point in the next few days to see what happens. :p

OK, I made a small batch last night using 2% in heated phase and tested this morning. Seems to make no difference in feeling when applying lotion. I guess it can be used in either phase. I will probably continue using in the cool down anyway.

Thanks for the input :p

I like it better in the heated phase, only for convenience though. I've found no difference in the end product either way.

Latest posts

Back