Question about a "tinging" soap from a friend...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
A friend of mine was telling me of this homemade soap she used to buy at a farmer's market many years ago. She said she couldn't remember who sold it or much about the soap, other than it left a tingling, almost burning sensation on your skin (it was supposed to, so I don't think it was a lye issue). Her aunt believes it was eucalyptus and peppermint that gave it that sensation. She said it made you feel very clean and fresh. Do you think mixing peppermint and eucalyptus EO in a basic CO/OO/PO recipe would achieve this effect? She wants me to try it on my next batch and I'm hoping I can make it just right for her.

I do think that's probably what it is, but I would think you couldn't use it on sensitive areas. I just looked into peppermint fragrance and read that some people are very sensitive to it. That is discouraging unless you are making hand soap.

So true, I love using peppermint essential oil, but use a very light hand and just 'mildly' scent. I worry about burning eyes (and other places too).

lol If it burns in other places, people might think they have a bigger problem!

I scented my castile with peppermint EO. Since it has 3 months of curing time, will the fragrance diminish over time?

I used .8 oz ppo of peppermint in a batch I made about 6 months ago and I think it faded considerably. It was enough to knock you over right after unmolding, my nose was cold for days. Some people love the tingle and other people hate it. A friend of mine who tried it thought it was very tingly and is saving it for summer. I didn't think it was tingly at all. Go figure.

Interesting. So any tingling (or outright mild sting) is usually from the fragrance?

I used a homemade soap (bought it from etsy) the other day on my face, and it made my eyes sting.

(They got better!)

I believe its peppermint and tea tree. Ive never had my straight up peppermint tingle by itself but maybe it would at higher quantities. Most of the expensive shampoos that advertise as tea tree also have peppermint in them and they tingle.

definitely let people know the soap tingles b/c if they use the bar directly on the skin special areas, they will get a surprise. :lol:

I mildly scented a soap with straight up peppermint essential oil. It smelled so strong at first. It's now 4 months old, the scent is very mild, but seems to be a little stronger when the soap is wet and bubbly. No tingle or burn.

I did a whipped soap with straight peppermint oil... wow... if you want tingle try it whipped (nizzy style).
Also did a peppermint and choc soap , not as tingly, but it defintely refreshes down below....rofl!!
I prefer to avoid straight peppermint now and do half peppermint & half spearmint. Spearmint has no tingle.

nattynoo said:
I did a whipped soap with straight peppermint oil... wow... if you want tingle try it whipped (nizzy style).
Also did a peppermint and choc soap , not as tingly, but it defintely refreshes down below....rofl!!
I prefer to avoid straight peppermint now and do half peppermint & half spearmint. Spearmint has no tingle.

I was going to mention spearmint. Ive used this in a chocolate mint soap. I had wanted to use peppermint but avoided it for the above mentioned reasons. Spearmint is lovely and strong and no tingle (private parts included!)

peppermint EO is my current FAVE!!!!! And yes, even the tinglyness in my bits :D - not so much near the eyes.

I use it in the shower and then put on a lotion scented likewise....YUM!!

Natty, what is a whipped soap? Can you explain a bit for me?

Thanks for all the help, guys! I told my friend all the responses and she can't wait for me to make some. I'd like to see what a mix of tea tree and peppermint EO smells like because I kinda think tea tree stinks! Maybe when mixed it'll smell better. I love the way my eucalyptus smells so hopefully it'll be nice when mixed with the mint.

Who needs air freshener when you have peppermint soap curing? lol Not me!

Latest posts

Back