PVC Pipe - What do you do with bottom?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scentapy

Reaction score
Several months ago I bought a long piece of PVC pipe. My husband cut it into two pieces for me and they are just perfect for 2lb. batches. The question I have is this..... how do you seal the bottom? I have been cutting a round piece of cardboard and duct taping it to the bottom. I am getting sick of this method! What do you all do?

I got a little plastic cap in the plumbing section that fits. I fold over some saran wrap, then put that on the bottom...then wedge the cap in and tape it all.

It's kinda a pain, but I've NEVER had it leak.

I have those caps too but they were really rounded so they were screwed to a flat heavy wooden block, then a round wood disc was placed inside. Then the tube fits into the end cap (there are two tubes on this base). They are pretty stable and don't tip.

I used tube liners to line the PVC pipes
http://www.chestnutfarms.com/Soap_and_s ... /index.htm

OK....here is a pic to better explain it. I cannot seem to get the round disc out of the end cap to show the screw BUT I never need to remove it anyway. It allows a flat surface so the end of the soap is nice and neat.

mold.jpg

Nope, mines a different kind of disk. Not a cap, more like a little insert. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Like this!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So I just make a "gasket" with saran wrap (a folded square of it) slap that on the end, wedge that cap in and tape.

Much simpler!!! I was looking for something like this but the sales people at my local Home Depot were less than helpful.

My Home Depot only had 2 or 3 inch PVC. I got a 3 inch, but they didn't have flat endcaps. Soooooo, I got a toilet flange (what the guy at home depot called it) and capped it with that. To me it works much better because it is flat and there is a metal ring around the bottom outside of the PVC which keeps the tube from toppling over. It is also a good place to put my feet for leverage to be able to separate the tube from the bottom.

I think that is what I just purchased today as well. I tried to be creative with the capping of one end but sometimes easier is better :wink:

at my home depot they had rounded caps to fit onto the end. I have to lean it up against something but it's not the end of the world. I just jam it on there, duct tape it in place, pour the soap and don't pick up the pipe until I know the soap is set up :)

Tegan said:
Nope, mines a different kind of disk. Not a cap, more like a little insert. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Like this!

So I just make a "gasket" with saran wrap (a folded square of it) slap that on the end, wedge that cap in and tape.

This is what you want. I believe it's called a "test" cap in the plumbing dept.

The one that Tegan has is ususallh in.a different location than the round ones. I.think those are more made for the pipes for toilets or out wager instead of bringing water inside. Not that it matters for us but so you know where to go first.d them. And this is what I understood from.my husbands description when I asked why there was two PVC in different locations. Ours is along the back wall there the rounded case are near the front of our Lowes. Maybe this will help.

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id9.html

Also look at this one. I really like the idea of pumping.air into it to ouch up the soap.

I had my husband cut mine into 18" lengths for the ones under 2 inches I can that a plastic store bag and fold it 4 times then.take.the strong (purple is the ones.that
usually have) they come on.the fresh veggies. And place it in.a.box there is very littlele to s leakage. Not I.tried this with a taller 3" and I had to throw another bag in a.box. I was able.to salvage it. But my swirls.all mixxed.in.

Tegan said:

Like this!

I want that! My cap lined with plastic wrap has leaked one too many times :x

Long time lurker, first time poster. :)

I found flat caps in both the 2" and 3" size and they seal very nicely. They were difficult to track down though. Mine are from Tru Value. HTH

Went to Home Depot yesterday and got a rubber bottom...kind of like the one pictured above but the pipe sits in the bottom and it is nice and snug. I did two batches and it was literally as simple as putting it on and taking it off after! YAY... no more cutting round cardboard pieces and taping them like crazy :)

ONE MORE QUESTION if you all don't mind. How do you line your PVC? I have been using a spray Olive Oil and it works really good but sometimes it discolors my soap yellow. :( I just FINALLY had my first really good swirl (and ITP swirl) with white and red soap and the spray OO turned the outside of my soap yellow. :x

Back