Pure Lard Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

secondspring

Reaction score
My Mom wants me to make her some soap that is 100% lard!! Apparently, that is what she used as a kid and she loved it and wants more... yikes!!

Has anyone had any experience with making soap that's 100% lard? I am a 7% superfat kind of gal, but i'm wondering if I should adjust... I have never used lard before (I have some experience with tallow, though). Should I expect the soap to trace slower/faster? (No scents or dyes)

Thanks a million! You all are wonderful!! :D

Old-fashioned soap, that's for sure, the way people used to make it! Lard makes a very hard, very white soap with a low lather. Traces more slowly but it doesn't take as long as 100% OO, at least not for me. I'm sure she'll love having it again.

It's doable... But it sneakily tricks you into thinking it's traced enough when it's not ... and it will seperate on you if you don't mix it enough. carebear gave me the tip to let it sit for a half hour after I pour it before U wrap it up to gel, just to make sure it traced (I have a seperated mess the first time myself) and that worked fine..

Latest posts

Back