Pumpkin Seed Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SplendorSoaps

Reaction score
So, I may just be guilty of over-buying soap supplies...but I know I'm not the only one! LOL

A few months ago I bought some pumpkin seed butter on a whim during one of my WSP binges. (Here's the product link http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/pumpkin-seed-butter-blend.aspx).

I'm really not into making lotion aside from the odd personal-use batch and the occasional batch of lotion bars, so I wanted to maybe try this in my CP soap at 5%. Of course, there's no listing for Pumpkin Seed Butter on SoapCalc! Yikes!

WSP lists the ingredients as Cucurbita Pepo (Pumpkin) Seed Oil (and) Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. SoapCalc does have a listing for Pumpkin Seed Oil, but I'm worried about that HVO skewing the recipe. I think that vegetable oil is usually mostly soybean oil, isn't it? For SoapCalc purposes, would it work to maybe plug in equal parts Pumpkin Seed and Soybean oils at 2.5% in lieu of the Pumpkin Seed Butter? Unfortunately, Soybean and Pumpkin Seed oils have totally different fatty acid profiles. What would you do?

This is the sap information for the butter :

SAP Value: 175-200
NaOH .132, KOH .186

See how the numbers compare in SoapCalc and you should be good.

Latest posts

Back