Public liability insurance in Australia

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moktah

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get public liability insurance as a soap maker/seller in Australia?

Moktah, I missed this when you first posted, sorry!!

I have just recently arranged my insurance. It is thru EBM insurance brokers. My broker is a great chick called Melissa. They are awesomely helpful, they had my quote done & emailed back to me within an hour of my submitting my paperwork, which is a 2-page 'tick and flick' type application form.

The contact details & link to the application form are on the Sydney Essential Oil Co website: http://www.seoc.com.au/service.asp?id=328

Alternatively, you can contact CGU for insurance thru the ANZ website, they do offer it. You can also pay by the month.

An interesting thing to note, tho, is that the policy that EBM have set up is thru CGU, and as far as I can figure, is the exact same broadform liability insurance policy. EBM was a 2 page form, fill it in & fax it to Melissa, she will email you a quote. Email her back and say yes, she sets it all up for you. All up, my insurance cost $580.63, and that is including brokerage fees.

CGU, they send you a five page product liablility questionnaire, and want to know stuff like 'Will there be asbestos in your products'. I really wanted to answer 'Yes, I will be using it as an exfoliant' :shock:

Once I faxed the form back to them, it took a week for them to call me back. Then I had to sit on the phone for 20 minutes answering questions about the size and age of my house, is there asbestos sheeting used, has it been rewired ever, has the plumbing ever been redone...and on and on and on....

THEN, as this is a 'high risk' policy, I had to wait until the next day, so that a supervisor could sign off on my quote. That quote was $120 more than the SAME POLICY thru EBM.

I went with EBM :lol: I totally recommend them, Melissa is great!

Thank you so much for all that info Becky, I'll calle Melissa tomorrow.

Becky said:
Moktah, I missed this when you first posted, sorry!!

I have just recently arranged my insurance. It is thru EBM insurance brokers. My broker is a great chick called Melissa. They are awesomely helpful, they had my quote done & emailed back to me within an hour of my submitting my paperwork, which is a 2-page 'tick and flick' type application form.

The contact details & link to the application form are on the Sydney Essential Oil Co website: http://www.seoc.com.au/service.asp?id=328

Alternatively, you can contact CGU for insurance thru the ANZ website, they do offer it. You can also pay by the month.

An interesting thing to note, tho, is that the policy that EBM have set up is thru CGU, and as far as I can figure, is the exact same broadform liability insurance policy. EBM was a 2 page form, fill it in & fax it to Melissa, she will email you a quote. Email her back and say yes, she sets it all up for you. All up, my insurance cost $580.63, and that is including brokerage fees.

CGU, they send you a five page product liablility questionnaire, and want to know stuff like 'Will there be asbestos in your products'. I really wanted to answer 'Yes, I will be using it as an exfoliant' :shock:

Once I faxed the form back to them, it took a week for them to call me back. Then I had to sit on the phone for 20 minutes answering questions about the size and age of my house, is there asbestos sheeting used, has it been rewired ever, has the plumbing ever been redone...and on and on and on....

THEN, as this is a 'high risk' policy, I had to wait until the next day, so that a supervisor could sign off on my quote. That quote was $120 more than the SAME POLICY thru EBM.

I went with EBM :lol: I totally recommend them, Melissa is great!

Back