Probably a stupid question about Peppermint EO...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkydancer

Reaction score
This is probably a stupid question, in fact I know it is but what does Pure Peppermint EO smell like?
Is it supposed to smell more grassy and less minty than redistilled Peppermint?

I bought Peppermint Oil not redistilled thinking I would try it even though I love the redistilled and it smells really off to me. I did taste it and it tastes like Peppermint.

WSP sent me a replacement and checked their stock to make sure all was well before the new one got sent out. Well it smells exactly like the first one. It smells frankly like butt...at least out of the bottle.
It almost smells like chemicals to me...I tried Peppermint EO from somewhere else and that one did too.
So can someone please tell me what real Peppermint EO smells like?
I knew I should have stuck to redistilled but I wanted to try something new.
Thanks so much in advance!
Thanks for any advice in advance. :D

Redistilled peppermint has more of a menthol smell to it then distilled peppermint. Distilled peppermint has more of an herb-like smell to it. I don't know if it smells like butt, though. Hmm...maybe Santa Clause's butt. :wink:

LOL Thanks Genny. Here is a better description:

Both bottles smell like mint mixed with Magic Marker- it's almost a chemical smell but maybe that's the herby part.

It could be I'm too used to the Candy Cane goodness of redistilled. I should have known to leave well enough alone but the hubs wanted a truer mint. So maybe when I soap it- it will come out. It may not be good to be judging it OOB. No clue.
Thanks for the response.

Latest posts

Back