Preventing gel -confused!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Purplerain

Reaction score
So, I'm on my 14th batch of soap and having pretty good success. The last few batches I have wanted to prevent gel so I have been putting my mold in the freezer for @4 hours then moving to the fridge overnight, then removing from the fridge and letting sit for about 6 hours, then unmolding and cutting. The first batch, a goats milk oatmeal, was brilliant. The second batch, a basic soap with lavender developed a partial gel a few days after cutting. It was still quite soft when I cut, but cool. Now I have a third batch that I have put in the freezer. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1425604625.471074.jpg
Again I want to prevent gel. It is also a pretty basic soap - 30% lard, 25% co, 25% oo, 10% almond oil, 5% Shea butter, 5% castor oil, 38% water and 5% super fat. It has chromium green oxide, french green and kaolin clays. White tea and ginger FO.
My question is: how long should I leave it in the freezer to ensure that I prevent gel and how will I know when it is ok to remove, and cut? I have read everything from 4 hours to 3 days. ????? I'm confused!
Is there some way to tell?
Thanks in advance for your good counsel.

I think most people on here recommend 12-24 hours. I usually leave mine in the freezer about 10 hours then move to the counter for another 12 ish before I try cutting. Sometimes I have to wait a little while longer before I can cut.

Also, if you're not already, try chilling your mold in the freezer for about 30 minutes before you pour. It helps me prevent gel better because the mold doesn't have to cool down.

Ah ha! So if I soap quite cool and then get it in the freezer, that can help avoid a partial gel? I did that with the goats milk oatmeal and did not get gel. The lavender one I soaped about 34c and did get partial gel. This last one was even a bit warmer. Hope the longer time in the freezer compensates!

12 to 24 in freezer and then the same in the fridge are good starting points because, as you found out, different recipes will need different times. It might be that your first batch could have had less time in the cooler, but the second one needed more - part of the learning process is also learning how our particular recipes react in our particular kitchen

Latest posts

Back