Preventing ash after cutting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ash can have a variety of appearances, including speckles, dust, crystals - and for my high lard soaps (I don't gel) it looks like a thick coat of frosting. The alcohol trick never made a difference for me, but I do spray it before laying down any plastic wrap as it seems to prevent sticking. And I wait to cut as long as possible because I do think humidity contributes to ash, as does high lard recipes. I'll even shelter the cut bars for a week in a layer of plastic wrap as the last of the saponification takes place.

I always spray with alcohol, this soap I topped with gold mica and sprayed it to "melt the mica". I've never thought about spraying with alcohol after cutting. I might start trying that.

Thanks everybody for all the tips!

How do you cover your soap? I used plastic wrap once and ruined my swirls on top, so I haven't covered my soap since then.

I have enough headspace to cover it. I 7.5 lb silicone lined wood molds and only use 60 oz of oils.

Latest posts

Back