Preservatives necessary if no water added?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapqueen

Reaction score
I'm new to lotions and potions. I have made a few tested by family and friends, and they really liked them. I just used mixtures of oils and butters, no water. Is it necessary to use preservatives if no water is used?

Also, I used tapioca flour to reduce oilyness, but found in some of the recipes it 'balled' when rubbed on the skin; how much of that is the maximum I can use without getting 'balling'?

And does anyone have a good recipe for body butter without water that they would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance :D

For me lotion is oil, water, emulsifier and of course a good preservative.
If you're family and friends are going to use it in places with high humidity (bathroom) I would add a preservative even though there's no water in your recipe.
You could make some whipped body butter, which is all oil and feels great.

If you are making a cream using no water...I think you can add either Rosemary Oil Extract or Vit. E (tocopherol??) as an antioxidant to help keep the oils from going rancid... but they are not preservatives...just antioxidants meaning theyll give your cream more life...

There are several massage creams I know of that have only olive and coconut oils used...with vit e for a antioxidant... its good stuff but tends to be greasy..which is why i like making lotions with water etc...

Thanks for the replies. What do people think are the gentlest and most natural preservatives to use in a lotion? And why?

In my opinion a preservative should do what it's supposed to; and I don't consider any natural product to be a good allround preservative.
At lotioncrafter you can buy loads of stuff to make lotions. there's a descreption for every preservative, so you can easily make the right choice for your formula. Optiphen and phenonip are two commonly used broad spectum preservatives.
http://www.lotioncrafter.com/lotioncraf ... ervatives/

I got an email from NDA recently, which said they are introducing a brand new ALL NATURAL preservative......

I wonder.. anyone have any experience with all natural ones????

Lemme go find it....

Here it is..
http://www.newdirectionsaromatics.com/s ... -1813.html

I have heard many many times that there is no such thing as a natural PRESERVATIVE... antioxidents yes, PRESERVATIVES no.......

And this "preservative" has water in it.....

thanks..
that sounds..... dangerous.. lol

I'm giving up on lotions for now.
I tried a simple recipe because I ran out of face cream and it turned out... like slop...

So i melted some butter and oil and I'm just using it straight.

Yeah, it kinda makes my frosted flakes taste funny.

For personal use, I'm anOCM girl. No preservatives needed. But it doesn't sell well. LOL

Latest posts

Back