Pregnant and making products....what should I not be using?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissGlinda

Reaction score
I know there are lists of essential oils I should not be handling. However, I'm sure that wearing gloves should make this safer, and in case of any contact, washing thoroughly should deter any issues. But I won't be using the listed known-to-be-dangerous oils.

However, are there other products I should not be coming into contact with, or using gloves or a mask while using?
I do know I have to exercise caution when using a microwave for reheating, staying at the very least a couple feet from an active microwave.

I was also intending on ordering pure powdered caffeine for use in eye creams and infused lip balms, but I know caffeine is dangerous in high quantities. Would I be safe if I wore gloves and a mask before even opening a sealed container of the stuff? Or should I skip it altogether?

I suffered a miscarriage recently, though it had nothing to do with me...it was a chromosomal defect, sadly. But due to this, I'm still quite nervous...but don't really want to give up making soaps, lotions, lip balms, bath salts and scrubs, etc. unless it's absolutely necessary I do.
Thank you!

We don't allow pregnant women to attend our workshops - there are too many risks, even by just smelling the oils - if you really want to use Essential Oils, PLEASE consult a certified health professional.

You don't want to go by what forum users say when it comes to a baby - ask the ones who know for sure, who know YOU and your pre-existing conditions.
Just think: even when you go for a massage, they have you fill out a form to list pre-existing conditions so there no way any serious health professional would just tell you to go ahead and use x oil for any condition without finding out about the 'whole' first.

I would be asking a health professional or a doctor, not people on this forum.
Caffeine powder is water soluble only. I don't think it will work in your lip balms since they are only oil soluble.

Catmehndi said:
We don't allow pregnant women to attend our workshops - there are too many risks, even by just smelling the oils - if you really want to use Essential Oils, PLEASE consult a certified health professional.

You don't want to go by what forum users say when it comes to a baby - ask the ones who know for sure, who know YOU and your pre-existing conditions.
Just think: even when you go for a massage, they have you fill out a form to list pre-existing conditions so there no way any serious health professional would just tell you to go ahead and use x oil for any condition without finding out about the 'whole' first.

my recommendation as well.

My OPPINION...stop while you are pregnant. I did....not that big of a deal. Not worth risking your baby just because you really like making product.

Wearing gloves will no make essential oils safer since you will still inhale them. Washing will not make them safer since the oils will have already absorbed into your skin.

You are seeking medical advise & that needs to be discussed with your DR or Midwife, esp since you have already had a miscarriage.

Catmehndi said:

+2

Thank you ladies.
I wasn't planning on using any essential oils or the like. :)
And thank you very much for posting that link for Herbs & Pregnancy...it was extremely helpful!

I'm no fool...I'm not looking for medical advice. Just basically was looking to see what you ladies have learned in the time that you have been soaping/crafting. :)

For now, I think I'm going to stick to making just lip balms (and possibly glycerin soap), as they seem to be really popular, easy, fun, with hardly any fumes and all-natural ingredients that don't include herbs or essential oils.

If by glycerin soap, you mean melt and pour soap, I'd hardly call it "all natural." Especially if you want to pretty it up with colors and fragrances.

Synthetic fragrance oils (while regulated and generally regarded as safe) contain aroma chemicals that are probably best not inhaled. Some contain phthalates (at very low usage levels set by the government). The relative dangers of phthalates are hotly debated and I'm not going to take a position on their use (I'm not a doctor). But you might want to read up and consult with your own doctor in order to make an informed decision that is right for you.

Edited for a grammatical error.

I crafted when I was pregnant but avoided all essential oils and fragrance oils, surfactants, and herbs. I just did basic lotions and anhydrous products with no fragrance or infusions. I had a miscarriage before getting pregnant with my boy, and was very cautious as well. Craft away, but avoid anything that can be inhaled.

Back