powdered goat's milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizflowers42

Reaction score
Well, I thought i was going to find some local goat's milk, but that didn't work out :( I want to make GM soap, and I am thinking about buying the powder form that WSP has. Is it better to reconstitute the powder with water and then freeze, or add the powder directly to the cooled lye water?

I reconstitute mine and work with it frozen so it doesn't burn. I have no access to the fresh stuff. I have seen some people just add the powder right in the oils. I've never done it that way, so I don't know how it would turn out. I plan on using canned next time to save some time. Good luck!

I add the powdered milk into the oils and stick blend really well. I've never had a problem with it and that way I can use water with the lye.

Shunt2011, do you CP or HP? I'm wanting to HP some goat milk soap, but don't really know when to add the milk. I have seen some videos and people do it both ways, but I really don't want to burn the milk. I was thinking about adding the powder to my superfatting oil and add it at the end. Any ideas?

Has anyone tried the goat milk that you can get in the dairy cooler at Walmart? I don't have access to fresh goat milk and was curious how well this worked in soap.

I've been wanting to use my powerded goats milk from WSP for the longest time... Does anyone know the usage rate of how much powder to mix in with water, or how much to mix with oils? I haven't been able to figure this out yet.

Has anyone tried the goat milk that you can get in the dairy cooler at Walmart? I don't have access to fresh goat milk and was curious how well this worked in soap.

I have used Meyenburg goats milk from the dairy section before and it has soaped fine. I did freeze it and incorporate with my lye. I have since switched to powder because its easier for me to get and always add it to my oils and blend really well. This has helped me to gel soaps and not get much color change or unpleasant smell.

I've been wanting to use my powerded goats milk from WSP for the longest time... Does anyone know the usage rate of how much powder to mix in with water, or how much to mix with oils? I haven't been able to figure this out yet.

I looked at what is typical for powdered goat milk to drink, which I found with a couple of brands is 1 oz per cup of water. I don't want to add a full cup of water to my soap at trace so both times that I used the powered GM, I measured 1 tsp in just enough water to hydrate the GM (apprx 1-1/2 to 2 fluid oz). This dilution rate is probably is not equal to liquid GM so maybe others can chime in. I'd love to know what others do.

I'm making my HP GM soap tomorrow and plan to add 2 tbsp mixed with 1 oz of sweet almond at the end of my cook time. Will let you know how it turns out.

Huh - I haven't tried powdered but keep a bunch of frozen goats milk in the freezer in bags from ice cube trays. I actually like it because it speeds up the process. After mixing the lye my milk is always about 76 and ready to go. I'm impatient and don't like to wait for things to cool. Lol
Powdered would be nice for lightening though.. Might try it for that.
Does it feel the same for the end result though?
My milk is higher fat.

Jenneelk, I haven't tried a liquid GM yet so I can't tell you what I found the differences to be yet. I have some in the freezer ready to go as soon as I get a chance and I'll let you know what I think.

Oh this is for HP? My bad.. I only do CP too.

Although I'm still curious if there is a difference with HP and powdered vs higher fat fresh. Thanks Kazmi. :)

I mostly HP and I cook my GM soaps. First thing to know about it is- GM soap will always separate during the cook and we are talking full separation- you will need to stick blend it together when it happens- probably a half hour through the cook. Your soap will not be ruined but be warned it will happen- doesn't matter if it's fresh or powdered when you are taking the milk through the cook.

There is a difference in the soap when you add the milk before the cook as opposed to after the cook- you won't get the huge bubbles and the soap will be less moisturizing. I have tested this thoroughly. So when you HP gm- you will always have a brown or caramel colored soap when you cook the milk. The scent doesn't stay with the soap it does fade after about a week or so and you will smell your FO or unscented GM soap smells like nothing pretty much. Cookies if you put honey in it. :)

As far as milks go- there was a difference in powdered versus fresh when taking it through the cook not adding it at the end. The fresh performed better in the finished soap as far as bubbles and conditioning- the soap was also harder which was weird. With powder it isn't as bubbly or conditioning but the differences are pretty subtle- it will still make nice soap. I prefer fresh myself.

CP GM soap is actually a lot easier than HP gm soap because of that separation issue so I do that too when I don't feel like dealing with it.
Hope this helps a little.

I made my HP, GM soap today. I added 2 tbsp with an oz. of sweet almond at the end of the cook and it didn't change color. It stayed a nice creamy white! Can't wait to cut it.

Sorry my responses were about cp - not hp. I have not added GM to an hp batch.

I made my HP, GM soap today. I added 2 tbsp with an oz. of sweet almond at the end of the cook and it didn't change color. It stayed a nice creamy white! Can't wait to cut it.

It does stay the same color when you add it at the end since it isn't getting heated or saponified but unfortunately the benefits of the milk aren't the same. Take your milk through the cook with a browning FO- you'll see the difference.

Latest posts

Back