Powdered Goat Milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FOhoarder

Reaction score
I wanted to try some in my CP soap and of course the one I have has no information on the package as far as concentration so I am guessing about 1 TBSP ppo? Do any of you use powdered over fresh regularly and is there a big difference in the creaminess? I just think it would be easier to add and not have to worry about scorching or smell. Plus the fact that I don't have easy access to goats! :)

I've never used powdered GM. I use fresh, or supermarket bought stuff, alongside the normal cows milk in the refrigerator section.

I adore GM soap, and make mine, CP, using the slushy method.

Yes, you can use powdered instead of fresh. I can attest that the creamy results in soap are the same as when using fresh. Are you saying that it doesn't state anywhere on your package how to reconstitute it in order to make a cup of milk?

IrishLass :)

Somewhere I have seen a suggested water ratio of 1:8.

That isn't necessarily the same brand that you have, but I'm thinking there can't be a huge difference between one goat and another.

Also, other soapers suggest a higher concentration or even add powdered goat milk to fresh goat milk.

Here is what my instructions say:

To Reconstitute:: Mix 1 part Goats Milk Powder to 8 parts Water by weight (20g in 160mL water)

What I do in that case is mix 1 part powder into my oils to 8 parts of water used to make the lye solution then combine lye solution with the oils. I then stick blend the oils lightly to get out any blobs.

If you refrigerate or freeze you will get a light color. If you do your cp as usual with insulating etc it will turn a tan color but it's still pretty. Either way it will smell slightly ammonia like but I don't notice it near a strongly as I do when using fresh and slushy or reconstituted and slushy. HTH

IrishLass said:
Yes, you can use powdered instead of fresh. I can attest that the creamy results in soap are the same as when using fresh. Are you saying that it doesn't state anywhere on your package how to reconstitute it in order to make a cup of milk?

IrishLass :)

No, it doesn't say anything but "powdered goat milk". I got it from The Soap Dish. I sent them 2 emails several days ago and got no answer.
:( I thought I would check with you all and see if there is a standard measurement you go by. I read also that you can just add it to some warm oils that you reserve and then add it at light trace. Would that be ok to do? It seems extremely easy so I want to make sure I'm doing it right. :)

Pasteurized, spray dried full fat goat milk powder. 29.7% milk fat - 27% protein. INCI: Goat Milk Powder

I got that from their website. Pity they don't supply important information like dilution ratios but you can use the ratio that I provided.

Thanks Jenny! I'll go that route and hope for the best. Still no word from the company. Too bad :cry: I just hate bad customer service! They won't get any more of my business unfortunately.

Back