Powdered Additives

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
So I took the plunge and ordered powdered coconut milk and honey from thesoapdish.com but their instructions have left me confused. On the coconut milk, it says to dissolve 1oz. Powder in 6 oz. Water. That is a lot of water, especially since I've heard of people adding coconut milk powder at trace.

Can I just add the powder at trace, or can I add it in a much smaller water solution? Also, will I have the same overheating issues with honey powder as I have with regular honey?

Thanks,
Heather

Haven't used honey powder in CP so can't help you there, but I do use coconut powder a lot. I usually make 2# (1000g) oil weight batches and often add 1 - 2 tablespoons coconut powder either to aloe juice and add at trace, or blend it dry straight into my oils before I add the lye - either way works fine for me. If blending into juice or other liquid I usually reserve 1/4 to 1/2 cup by volume from my water to use for the blending. I am a big chicken when it comes to adding lye to any milk products so I just don't go there. HTH!

Tanya :)

Thanks, Tanya!

I am going to throw caution into the wind and just add the honey powder and coconut milk powder to my oils before adding my lye solution. I am like you- I won't add a milk product to my lye solution. All of the talk about ammonia smells and orange soap has me scared! Anyways, Ill just peek at my soap every half hour to check for overheating. :D

I haven't used coconut milk, but I do use powdered gm, I don't mix it with any liquid, I just dump it in at trace & mix very well. I have never had any trouble with donig it that way.

I would be really interested in hearing how you do with the powdered honey, I just got some myself (for use with my clay masks) & I was thinking about maybe adding it to soap, but haven't really researched it yet.

I actually add some distilled water to my powder and minus it out of my water amount and stir it up well, and then add it when its time to do the lye mixture. That way I know its dissolved and no clumpy will pop up later. I never added honey powder, couldnt find a benefit to.

I'll report back after I use the honey powder, but it probably won't be until wednesday because I am waiting for some delightful oils, FOs, and additives (all bought on a whim, so I have no clue what I'll do with them! Sigh.) to come in the mail. I'll also try to post after the soap is cured if I think the honey powder imparted any interesting qualities to my soap, but no promises because I am very forgetful and that is a month out!

I bought some milk powders and honey powder from them this month too. I found this post on about.com very helpful. http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipst ... soap_5.htm
I'm pretty sure you can use this method for any type of milk powder.

I added honey powder to my oils before I added the lye solution. I don't think it dissolved all the way. The soap looks lovely though and smells just like honey.

:) Hi Topcat.
i just bought some coconut powder, What do you think it adds to the soap?
How does it compare to the the oil? Hope that is not a silly question.

Hi booboo - IMHO coconut milk powder adds creaminess to the lather, whereas coconut oil adds fluffiness and cleansing ability to the finished soap. I think they complement each other. I also use buttermilk powder or goats milk powder to my soaps - lovely!

Tanya :)

When I use milk powders I do mix them into the water I am going to mix with my lye. I chill them so they are slushy though, and they don't burn when the lye is added.

1 oz. of powder in 6 oz. water sounds fine. The powders are concentrated so even though it may seem like you're not adding much, you really are.

The rule of thumb that I was told about adding milk powders to your soap is to add 1 oz. of powder per pound of oils in your soap recipe. So if you're doing a 3 lb batch of soap, use 3 oz. of powdered milk.

I have never had any problems adding milk powders this way.

HTH! :)

Back