Pouring into a cylinder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crocoturtle

Reaction score
I just made my first batch in a cylinder mold. In my head it was much easier to just pick up my pot and pour the soap into the pipe. I know the first thing I did wrong was that I did not make my liner go all the way to the top of the mold, I just lined it up to the point where the soap would go. So even if I had been able to pour it in there, it could have gotten behind the liner. But this is how we learn, eh?
Even if I had been able to just pick up the pot and pour it in like the coordinated person I am not, when I added my TTO trace sped up like crazy, thought for a second it was going to seize. It didn't seize but then I had this thick pudding to try to get into a deep mold. I scooped it in there but I have to think there is an easier way. Then I pounded the mold on the ground for a while to try to get the air out. I have no idea what this is going to look like when I take it out tomorrow night.
I tried searching but I couldn't find any tutorials on the forum.

I like using the cylinder molds (cheap PVC pipes). I line it with freezer or parchment paper and it works like a charm. I need a better way to cut the soaps after unmolding, but for now, I stick the unmolded soap back into the pipe. I line a paint stick (from Home Depot) up against the edge of the PVC to use as a guide. The paint stick is roughly an inch wide, so at least all of the cut pieces are pretty close to the same size. Then I use the end of the pipe to guide the knife. Low tech and inexact at best, but until I can get over to my sister's house and use her husbands chop saw...

I just made my first batch in a cylinder mold. In my head it was much easier to just pick up my pot and pour the soap into the pipe. I know the first thing I did wrong was that I did not make my liner go all the way to the top of the mold, I just lined it up to the point where the soap would go. So even if I had been able to pour it in there, it could have gotten behind the liner. But this is how we learn, eh?
Even if I had been able to just pick up the pot and pour it in like the coordinated person I am not, when I added my TTO trace sped up like crazy, thought for a second it was going to seize. It didn't seize but then I had this thick pudding to try to get into a deep mold. I scooped it in there but I have to think there is an easier way. Then I pounded the mold on the ground for a while to try to get the air out. I have no idea what this is going to look like when I take it out tomorrow night.
I tried searching but I couldn't find any tutorials on the forum.

The technique I like is pouring 2 or 3 colors into the cylinder through a funnel. Here's a great tutorial from YouTube. Sorry guys, I've posted this til you're sick of it. [ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBwZUAxSPEY"]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YBwZUAxSPEY[/ame]

The technique I like is pouring 2 or 3 colors into the cylinder through a funnel. Here's a great tutorial from YouTube. Sorry guys, I've posted this til you're sick of it.
Thanks! Next time I will pour my oils into a pitcher before I add the lye then Use a funnel to put it in the mold. Wednesday morning I should be cutting this bad boy. Good thing this is just some shampoo bars for myself that I made from a well tested recipe.

Thanks! Next time I will pour my oils into a pitcher before I add the lye then Use a funnel to put it in the mold. Wednesday morning I should be cutting this bad boy. Good thing this is just some shampoo bars for myself that I made from a well tested recipe.

I'd love to have your shampoo bar recipe. My favorite shampoo is Aveda's Rosemary - Mint, but it is really expensive.

Oh!! I made my first cylinder soap today too, with an ITP swirl. It's Lavender and Chocolate.
Don't know if the swirl bit will turn out but at least it smells great and hopefully it will be a lovely bar.

Photo shows my ITP swirl before pouring it into the column mold. Nothing too fancy.

image.jpg

I've seen suggestions to use a canning funnel, but I didn't feel like a trip to Wally World, so I took a regular plastic funnel I'd gotten in a set of 3 from Harbor Freight and cut the bottom spout plus ~1" off. Worked great in a 3" column mold. The funnel was the middle-sized one I didn't have a use for. Until now!

Oh!! I made my first cylinder soap today too, with an ITP swirl. It's Lavender and Chocolate.
Don't know if the swirl bit will turn out but at least it smells great and hopefully it will be a lovely bar.

Photo shows my ITP swirl before pouring it into the column mold. Nothing too fancy.

That's very nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Please post pics. I tried an ITP last week. My color blended WAY too much. Not sure it was too thin, the bronze new bronze mica I was trying or the long pour to caused the colors to mix. Would love to see one ore successful because it has potential to look awesome.

Pictures. Post pictures. ;-)

wow, i'd never watched that video, it's terrific! i have never, ever had that much time to play after reaching a light trace, that was amazing to see. hmmmm, maybe i should reduce the clay to have a bit more time...

My column soap is beckoning. I'm dying to cut it but suspect it's not quite ready, so I will try desperately to leave it alone. I want to see the inside! I think that column funnel technique is next on my list!!! :)

Latest posts

Back