Possibly a really stupid question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Are refined oils still considered "natural"? They don't have anything added to them, just the scent and colour taken out.

A family member has asked me to make an "all natural" bar of soap for her hubby who has sensitive skin, and the coconut oil I have is refined. Is it still classified as being all natural?

This may be a really dumb question.... sorry!

Hi Ashley - yes it would still be considered natural - where you might to take care is on the scenting of your soap. For really sensitive skin (which is like mine) try a Goats Milk & Honey bar or even just a Milk'n'Honey using a Bastille config - 75% EVOO & 25% CO.

HTH

Lindy

In my opinion - No it's not. You can get "less refined" oils sometimes. Basic coconut oil is extracted via chemical solvents but you can find and pay for extra virgin coconut oil which is supposed to be pressed out mechanically instead of through the use of solvents.

As for making a "natural" soap... It's a matter of semantics. when's the last time you found soap growing on a tree? and lye is synthetically produced unless you are out back with a barrel of ashes trying to leach your own out of them. I don't consider soap natural since it isn't found in nature (beyond soap nuts and the like).

(not a dumb question - just not one with a cut & dry answer)

Latest posts

Back