Please help me

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseMarie

Reaction score
I'm still new at this and not sure on how to go about this. (I have made 2 batches of soap so far) I was watching a video online and she used these oils, coconut oil, palm oil, olive oil, castor oil, shea butter, and sunflower oil. I know enough to know that coconut oil dries out your skin if you use too much and that olive oil is good to use and if I am remembering right castor oil helps lather and coconut oil gives some suds. I want a hard bar when it's cured but I don't know the ounces to use on each of these oils. She said her total oil was 64 oz. of oils. This is a cold process soap. Would you all help me with the amounts of each oils (in ounces) to use for it to weigh 64 oz. total? I have very sensitive, dry skin and in need of as much moisture and oil as I can get in my soap. What would shea butter do for this soap? Thanx for any advise you can give me.

I just found this info..... so this looks like it would make a really good bar of soap for me with my skin like it is and it would be hard bar as well.

Coconut oil= lathering/makes a hard soap (but will dry skin if too much is used and I am thinking it was not more than 30%?)

Palm oil= Hard, stable, long lasting

Olive oil= moisturizing/conditioning

Castor oil= lathering

Sunflower oil= moisturizing/conditioning

Shea butter= luxury/super moisturizing/makes a very hard soap

RoseMarie said:
I know enough to know that coconut oil dries out your skin if you use too much and that olive oil is good to use and if I am remembering right castor oil helps lather and coconut oil gives some suds.
kinda. not really.

soap made from coconut oil cleanses very effectively. drying? depends on the person and on the forumla as a whole and on how high your superfat is. Yes - nice big bubbles I make a nice mild soap with 75% coconut oil.

soap made with olive oil is... well can be quite icky. I don't use more than 20% of this myself, but some go higher. castiles can be slimy and prone to rancidity. mild... well it's not very good at cleansing so that can be mild, I guess. but still it iIS soap so it removes oils.

castor is supposed to help with big bubbles. I don't need it in my formula because I get plenty of bubbles from the other oils I use in the ratios I've worked out.

shea butter is not super moisturizing in soap. it's soap. soap is not moisturizing. it can contribute to a rich lather. hardness yea. frankly I prefer cocoa butter when choosing between the two for a direct swap.

play with soapcalc, but don't rely to much on the soap qualities it gives. instead make soap and then shift an ingredient or two and see what happens. it's the best way to learn.

Palm or lard are both lovely.

Sunflower is nice, too.

A combination of the oils you mention will make for a very hard bar.

how bout this:
oo 22
co 18
po 12
castor 6
shea 6 lye 8.7 water 17oz
the numbers are good, bubbly and creamy.
just starting i would do smaller batches? try and use soap calc, it is SO helpful.

Thank you Carebear and Honor!!!! That's great it will make a hard bar.
Still trying to get the hang of these calc.

Back