Pinks and greens

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Best Natural Soap

Reaction score
Ok- so I recently discovered Spirulina for making a really pretty, authentic green in CP soap... It cures to a medium avocado color.
Does anyone know of any other all natural ingredients that give a nice green? I've used rosemary powder (tan), parsley powder (tannish-slightly green). I'd like to get the color of the inside of a cucumber... or the inside of a lime. Come to think of it, the outside of a lime would be nice as well! :)

Natural Colours

Have you tried Beetroot Powder for pinks and Chlorophyll for greens. Both are readily available, all Natural and cheap to buy? There are so many Natural Pigments.

Re: Natural Colours

Mackie said:
Have you tried Beetroot Powder for pinks and Chlorophyll for greens. Both are readily available, all Natural and cheap to buy? There are so many Natural Pigments.

where do you get these, mackie?
thanks

oooh! Beetroot!

I'm intrigued by the beetroot powder -- What sort of pink does it give? Purplish? Pinkish? There are so many natural things that create a brick red, but I'm having a hard time finding a pretty pink. Thanks for the suggestions! I'm already looking on line for a supplier!

Rose Clay gives a very nice pink and so far (almost a year) no fading.

I get mine from Oregon Trail Soap Supply. They say this is real rose clay and not pink kaolin. I'm not sure if that matters for the color.

Natural Colours

Beetroot goes pink in Goat Milk - Be wary in other CPs- it can go a muted yellow, I am told.
Lac Pink Red
Madder Root - infuse with oil at trace to avoid speckles
Pink Clay is great in all CPs
Cochineal - Also called Carmine Paste
Alkanet goes mauve
Tumeric - yellow
Paprika/Tumeric - orange

Whisks - I will give you my Oz Site - Cos he is brilliant to deal with:

https://www.escentialsofaustralia.com
Check out his Natural Colours and Clays.
and
http://www.aussiesoapsupplies.com.au has madder root and other colourants.
I hope this helps.

So many clays...

The only problem with clays for color is that they do more than just color the soap. There are basically four families of clays: Chlorite, Illite, Smectite (includes montmorillonite) and Kaolinite. Each family is known for different benefits- some are more drying/oil absorbing than others, some are better for detoxifying, some are even great for sensitive skin or for drawing moisture into the skin. The two pink clays available are mixes of other clays. Rose/Pink Kaolin is a blend of red kaolin and white kaolin. Pink Illite is a blend of red illite and white kaolin. The issue is that red Illite absorbs oils, whereas Red Kaolin does not. So, depending on the one you use, your soap will be better suited to certain skin types. Anyway-- I digress. I'm a science geek-turned soap-geek. I think that's why I love the challenge so much of finding the right ingredients. :)

Natural Colours

Even if you just check out the aussiesoap site, they have a picture of pink soap made from Madder Root. Worth a look, you might find some in the US.

Re: Natural Colours

Mackie said:

I've used the 'oil soluble' chlorophyl(basically chlorophyl mixed in a carrier oil).Gorgeous green for a few weeks,then it fades,then turns brown & rancid & disgusting. Assuming the rancidity is the carrier oil & haven't used the powdered form but use with caution.

Beetroot powder will give tan eventually.
Lac IS cochineal(great colour but for those wanting vegan/veggo friendly soap be aware it's cochineal beetles)
Madder-great for pink tones.
Rose/pink clay-ditto.Plus supposed to be good for dry/mature skin.

thanks, mackie.

have your tried any of the FOs/EOs from escential? i asked about the chanel no 5 and max said he didn't know where it came from (i was hoping it was from nature's garden).

Essentials

Dear Whisks,
Yes, I use a lot of Max's products. His E.O's are excellent. I have used Chanel No.5 but only in handcream. I have used his some of his FOs and there is one that I will never use in CP again, and that was Chocolate - It seized even in low temperatures, you can use it in HP. That goes for a lot of FOs and EOs, you get a lot that work and a few that aren't suitable for the purpose you want. But on the whole, brilliant products and a huge variety. He is my number one supplier.

I LOVE escentials! Ive never had a prob,well a couple small things but they were fixed pronto. High quality eo's & prices are excellent. Lucky for me there's no wishlist or I'd be permanently broke!lol
FO's? Smell great but I've used 3 in cp & each seized horribly.Strawb,PinaColada & i think watermelon.Sticking to lotion & LS with them.

I get a nice soft pale green from using whole ground up cucumbers as part of my water... after several months it's still green and no rancidity or anything

Nettle leaves give a very nice lime green colour. And the freckles dont discolour in time. Nettle leaves are everywhere. All you do is put your gloves on and collect a cup of young leaves. Then put them in the liquid part of the base oils and whizz with the stick blender until it becomes green puree. Mix your lye solution and hard oils first, then add this green oily puree and trace. peppermint, lime and rosemarry eo's go very well with this green. (use benzoin if using lime EO to fix it. otherwise i find it evaporates)

Latest posts

Back