Pine Tar & Neem Oil CP Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bickmore will be fine to use, @Deborah Long. Farnam and Su-Per Pine Tar are two other brands of pure pine tar that I've seen for sale in the US.

It always pays to read the labels, however. If it's not pure pine tar, you might also see ingredients such as "tall oil", turpentine, pitch, or rosin as ingredients in addition to the pine tar.

Auson (Sweden) sells pure pine tar as well as mixtures of pine tar and other ingredients. Dalbrand Tratjara (Dale Burned Wood Tar) #773 and Akta Tratjara (Genuine Wood Tar) #850 are both pure pine tars. I haven't seen the Dale Burned for sale in the US in the past year or so, but I just bought a can of their Akta Tratjara a month or so ago.

@DeeAnna Thanks so much for that! I bought it because it said online that it was 100% and the others I found had turpentine, etc. in it - I didn't want that, fer sure...
DeeAnna, I trust you so VERY much! Thanks for all of your helpful advice and reassurance! :winner:

Good point, I will adjust to 20%. I'm using a bar of Pine Tar with Neem now that I purchased from a local artisan soaper and I just love it. I use it all over in the shower including face and scalp.

not trying to be too personal but do you have eczema or psoriasis that you are using it for? I have psoriasis and would like to try it

@Marilyn Norgart Both my brother and sister have psoriasis and love it using pine tar soap. Hence the reason I want to try to make some for them! They both also like it a little scrubby, so I thought of adding coffee grounds to it...

yes the exfoliating feels good on my psoriasis. you could also try some charcoal. I have a friend who has it too, so I would like to make some for us both!! have you ever used any neem? I don't know if it would be a better bar to have both or if the pine tar is enough. I made a bar that has tea tree oil/peppermint/lavender that felt nice too. for me it seems that I need to rotate different soaps and shampoos and ointments--otherwise they seem to be not as effective.

@Marilyn Norgart ... Using pine tar on humans is an off label use. Makers won't say it's okay for human use because of liability issues and because that would be making unsubstantiated medical claims.

We soap makers are in a similar boat -- we cannot legitimately claim our soap cures medical problems either, whether it's got pine tar or not.

Any of the brands listed in this thread are used on humans.

Auson Pine Tar also mentions using it on hooves.
I use Bickmore Pine Tar for mine

when I was on the bickmore site it stated that their pine tar is for horse hooves and not for human use, where do you guys find pine tar that is for humans

@Marilyn Norgart ... Using pine tar on humans is an off label use. Makers won't say it's okay for human use because of liability issues and because that would be making unsubstantiated medical claims.

We soap makers are in a similar boat -- we cannot legitimately claim our soap cures medical problems either, whether it's got pine tar or not.

we must have been typing at the same time :) . I was wondering about the off label use, thanks!! I would never claim that anything I make or buy for that matter will cure psoriasis cuz I know first hand it wont :) but things do give some relief of the symptoms

Like I said before ... you won't find pine tar labelled for human use. The FDA categorically does not recognize pine tar as an effective drug for treating human medical issues.

edit -- We were posting over each other, Marilyn. I don't mean to belabor the point!

Last edited:
I have one small (less than a 1" circular patch) of eczema on my arm (just that little spot can drive me insane with the occasional itching) and I've not found that pine tar salve or pine tar soap have done anything for it. The best result I've had with pine tar was in wetting the sliver of soap and dabbing it directly on the spot and allowing it to dry.

I've had better results with pure, unrefined shea butter than I have with pine tar or charcoal.

I have one small (less than a 1" circular patch) of eczema on my arm (just that little spot can drive me insane with the occasional itching) and I've not found that pine tar salve or pine tar soap have done anything for it. The best result I've had with pine tar was in wetting the sliver of soap and dabbing it directly on the spot and allowing it to dry.

I've had better results with pure, unrefined shea butter than I have with pine tar or charcoal.

I have had some relief from a tar ointment. unfortunately what will work for me may not work for someone else--such is psoriasis. the cream I mix up is shea butter, cocoa butter and 100% aloe vera--it is very moisturizing and as my daughter in law says it feels soft.
I was just saying the charcoal is scrubby too--I have never used it as any type of med, it just kinda helps to loosen the scales a bit

Last edited:
My mom has psoriasis really bad around her scalp. When we were kids she bought a tar shampoo and that was the only thing that worked for her. I remember one time we went to the only pharmacy in our area that carried it and it was clearanced out. She asked the pharmacist why and was told that the product was being discontinued. She bought every bottle they had and we went home without groceries that day (the shampoo was really expensive, around $20 a bottle in the late 80's). I was in college when she ran out of shampoo. Now I am wondering if adding pine tar to a shampoo bar (clarify: a syndet shampoo bar) would 1) work and 2) help her psoriasis. Hmmm.... I may need to add this to the tinkering list.

I think Carolyn (cmzaha) says much the same thing as you, @Marilyn Norgart. Dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema have so many different causes. A product that works really well for one might be aggravate another person's problem or it might not do a darn thing either way.

I don't have skin troubles like this (although my skin is turning very itchy and ashy from our very dry winter air!), but what I've seen from things people say here is a simple, basic hand made soap is often helpful simply because it has so few ingredients in it, so it is less likely to trigger reactions.

@amd -- We've had a few folks make liquid (KOH) soap that includes pine tar. I suspect you could make a syndet liquid shampoo with PT as well. Shampoo bars ... maybe not so much, because anything more than a smidge of PT is going to make the mixture too "wet" to make a solid, firm bar. It might end up being kinda pasty instead.

edit: Here are a couple PT threads for you --
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/pine-tar-liquid-soap-revisited.58398/
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/syndet-shampoo-bar-with-pine-tar.70312/

I think Carolyn (cmzaha) says much the same thing as you, @Marilyn Norgart. Dermatitis, psoriasis, and eczema have so many different causes. A product that works really well for one might be aggravate another person's problem or it might not do a darn thing either way.

I don't have skin troubles like this (although my skin is turning very itchy and ashy from our very dry winter air!), but what I've seen from things people say here is a simple, basic hand made soap is often helpful simply because it has so few ingredients in it, so it is less likely to trigger reactions.

@amd -- We've had a few folks make liquid (KOH) soap that includes pine tar. I suspect you could make a syndet liquid shampoo with PT as well. Shampoo bars ... maybe not so much, because anything more than a smidge of PT is going to make the mixture too "wet" to make a solid, firm bar. It might end up being kinda pasty instead.

good to know about the shampoo bar--maybe I should look into the liquid soap for my scalp.
I usually have to rotate cuz what works for me one week may not work the next. unfortunately we can all lather or slather on anything we can but the main healing needs to come from the inside--and everybody has different triggers for a flare. I flare from beef and I am thinking sugar and milk cause issues also. I had eczema when I was a baby and then had psoriasis and eczema till I was in my early 20's and then the eczema disappeared but the psoriasis got worse--the only time it totally went away was when I was pg. I do consider myself lucky cuz mine isn't too bad but I did develop psoriatic arthritis

I have made a shampoo (syndet) "bar" with pine tar. DeeAnna is correct in stating that it won't firm up. It didn't matter to me . . . I just put it in a disposable condiment cup, and my son uses a small plastic scoop to dish it up. It's not stored in the shower, so is not exposed to wet. The texture is that of a firm paste.

@JasmineTea -- I was re-reading the thread in which you posted a picture of the PT shampoo-bar-in-a-cup that you made. Thanks for sharing how it turned out for you. I hope it's helping your son!

Last edited:
Back