ph strips

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:/ i have an agreement with my husband that i only order soap equipment after christmas and after taxes... so online is out of the question cause i dont want to get into trouble. were would they have them at the drug store? and do you think ace would carry them?

I think they'd be in the pharmacy section of a drugstore. I don't know if Ace would have them but you could call and ask.

I think it was agriffin who mentioned she used a plant pH meter for testing. Now is the time of year where you probably could easily find one since most stores are selling plants and accessories.

I was able to find some at a local business that was selling pools, they dont go up to 14 but they go up to 11 which is good enough for me, :) and im happy to report that all of my soaps are between 7.5 and 9

I thought soap was typically around 10? Am I wrong? I have used the pool strips to test the water in the hot tub and know that you can get different readings between 2 strips. Test the water with one you get one reading. Pull one out of a different pack and get a totally different reading. I have always used them as a general guideline, not a gospel, even for the purpose they are created for. I don't know how well they would really work with soap.

The problem with pH strips is that they really, really don't work with soap. They are not even close to accurate. The zap test is all you need to know. If it zaps the soap is no good. If it doesn't zap it is fine...

I thought soap was typically around 10? Am I wrong? I have used the pool strips to test the water in the hot tub and know that you can get different readings between 2 strips. Test the water with one you get one reading. Pull one out of a different pack and get a totally different reading. I have always used them as a general guideline, not a gospel, even for the purpose they are created for. I don't know how well they would really work with soap.

I have the idea that the soap should be between pH 8-9. 10 will be abit harsh for skin already.

Soap is typically around 10, it is the nature of the beast. If it is neutral, then it is no longer soap. The reason soap is not harsh, at least the way we make it, is that we are superfatting the soap, which means we are leaving free-floating oils which condition our skin. If you were doing a 0% superfat you would then find the soap to be harsher...

The ones I bought are basically one long continuous strip. Theryre likely a 2 feet long just wrapped up so I have to cut off a small piece before I use it

I mainly bought them so I don't have to lick non-gelled soaps anymore.

Latest posts

Back