ZNSC - Not saponified after 7 days

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I followed the recipe accurately (at least I think!) and cut it after two days. I've been testing it with pH strips daily. While the strip is slightly more green that it was, it's still very dark. I know there is debate on the accuracy of pH strips, but I tested it on another of my soaps at the same time and there it turns green (as desired) so that's what I'm going to go by.

I'm supposed to bring this batch to give to my sister in a few days and wonder what I should do. Seven days seems like a long time! Is there hope for this soap? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not sure what you are hoping to test with the strips - but most soaps need to cure for at least four weeks, although many can be safely used within a few days. It is recommended that you cure as long as possible for e milder soap - 3 months, 6 months and sometimes even 12 months depending on the recipe.
If you could cut your soap then it has indeed saponified - it just may not have cured long enough yet. Have you Zap-tested it? If it doesn't;t zap then it is safe to use ( though not necessarily ideal until after a longer cure).

I know there is debate on the accuracy of pH strips, but I tested it on another of my soaps at the same time and there it turns green (as desired) so that's what I'm going to go by.
While there are many old wives tales and unfounded recommendations to pH test your soap, there really isn’t any scientific debate about using pH strips on soap. One, they aren’t accurate. Two, pH tells you nothing about whether the soap is lye-heavy.

So, I would ask why you believe it is important or helpful to do this? I don’t mean that in a rude way at all, so please hear that with the smile on my face and a desire to help you let go of an unnecessary and unhelpful process. 😊.

As recommended by @KiwiMoose above, a zap test will be much more helpful.

Thanks to all. My concern is whether or not I'm giving my sister soap that is safe to use, with my instructions that she let it cure for six weeks. I just put my tongue to a piece of the soap and felt nothing, so I'm guessing it's safe in spite of the high pH. I'll go with that!

Yay, that is great news! Just in case you want to use the zap test again, try putting a bit of the suds on a finger that you touch to the tip of your tongue. That way, if your soap IS a bit lye-heavy, you will feel the zap but not end up with a burn on your tongue. ;)

Latest posts

Back