PH level of soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle22033

Reaction score
I just recently bought ph strips for my first time. I tested quite a few of my bars of soap and all are about a 10.5!! That's insane! I am superfatting at around 8%, so wouldn't that mean I am already using less lye? So I decided to test out a store bought bar that I have from my couponing faze, it was lever 2000 and it's ph was about a 9.5. So either the strips are wrong or most bars of soap are on the higher ph end? I have not had a problem using my soap and nor have I had any complaints from anyone.

How do I make a milder PH bar of soap?

Thanks

PH strips are not a good way to check the ph of your soaps. There are plenty of posts here about that. If your soap is fine for you and everybody else why are you even worried?

PH strips are not a good way to check the ph of your soaps. There are plenty of posts here about that. If your soap is fine for you and everybody else why are you even worried?

I am worried because this is my business, and its one thing for it being a bit high for me but for my customers is a different story.

Sistrum is right that there are better ways to test alkalinity than pH strips, but whatever apparatus you use there are better and worse methods. What dilution are you measuring soap pH at?

Sistrum is right that there are better ways to test alkalinity than pH strips, but whatever apparatus you use there are better and worse methods. What dilution are you measuring soap pH at?

I called my supplier and they chemist said that I should be lathering up the bar of soap then placing the strip directly on the bar to an accurate reading.

i'm having this issue too with my soap and pH strips. this means i'm going to have to taste my soap, isn't it?? I was trying to avoid this......

To zap test the "coward's way", just dampen a fingertip, swipe it on the soap, and touch the fingertip to your tongue. Just a tiny touch will do it.

If it's zappy, you'll instantly feel a sharp, clear, almost-electrical shock, usually with a strong metallic or bitter aftertaste. You'll have an involuntary "ewwww, I really don't want to do that again!" reaction. Rinse your mouth with a swig of fresh water and you'll be fine.

If it's not zappy, it might taste somewhat bitter, salty, or metallic; it might have an odd flavor from the fragrance you've added; or it might simply have a bland nothing-special taste. But your reaction to a non-zappy soap will be, at its worst, more of a "meh, I would rather not" kind of thing.

FWIW, I'm a coward when it comes to zap testing, but I have been known to swipe my tongue over some of my nicer tasting bars once I know they're fine. ;)

Last edited:
ok...I guess I can be brave tonight..... will imagine I have war paint on my face while I stick my tongue on my bar of soap. haha!

The PH will always be higher so don't worry about that. Do the zap test after a day or so. You will know if it zaps or not. If you've ever stuck your tongue on a 9 volt battery, it's a similar experience.

Last edited:
I called my supplier and they chemist said that I should be lathering up the bar of soap then placing the strip directly on the bar to an accurate reading.
You won't get a meaningful comparison between products unless you make a measured concentration by weight in water, the same each time. Soap isn't a buffer; the pH of a solution of it is going be concentration-dependent.

Latest posts

Back