Pet friendly soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalziel

Reaction score
Looking for some pet friendly cp soap recipes? Something that naturally repels fleas, and smells good for my 4 legged best friend!

There are recipes out there that are supposed to repel fleas but here is my concern as a dog owner - you don't want to leave any soap on the coat because it can irritate their skin. Keep in mind that their skin is ass sensitive or more sensitive than ours.

What I recommend is feeding them Brewer's Yeast as part of their food (just a very little amount) as this will repel fleas, ticks and lice from the inside out.

As for making a doggie shampoo you want to keep it as gentle as possible - I use a Castille recipe and then because pups don't like being perfumy so I use things like ground lavender and mint. You can use whatever you like - but this is just my experience thus far.....

Here's a picture of the ones I make -
DogShampooBars.jpg

HTH

Cheers
Lindy

Lindy said:
What I recommend is feeding them Brewer's Yeast as part of their food (just a very little amount) as this will repel fleas, ticks and lice from the inside out.

Great advice!! :)

A tablespoon of olive oil mixed in with their food is good for their skin and coat, too!

wooow im taking this totally off subject but i recently was looking into making pet food because of all the nasties i found out that they put into the food we buy from stores... they say going to a raw meat and veggie/no grain diet is real good for them.... its costly but im thinking of trying it cause its good stuff :)

IanT said:
wooow im taking this totally off subject but i recently was looking into making pet food because of all the nasties i found out that they put into the food we buy from stores... they say going to a raw meat and veggie/no grain diet is real good for them.... its costly but im thinking of trying it cause its good stuff :)

There are good high quality kibble foods out there, like Innova Evo. Google "Dog Food Analysis" and it pulls up a website with reviews of food based on ingredients. Six star=best. You'd be amazed at how HORRIBLE foods like Science Diet, Purina, IAMs, etc. are. Basically, if it is advertised on TV, it is likely to be a bad brand...

Anyway, lol. Those doggy soap bars look great! Something like a castille soap would be wonderful for my lab/dalmatian mix Noah, since he has very sensitive skin. During the winter, his poor skin is so dry and irritated. If it wasn't for all that fur, I'd rub lotion on him. But he gets yogurt with his kibble (Blue Buffalo), and some peanut butter as a treat a few times a week to give him some extra lipids to help his skin.

Stacykins said:
You'd be amazed at how HORRIBLE foods like Science Diet, Purina, IAMs, etc. are.

Yup! Not to mention some of these companies use cruel + unusual methods of testing their product on dogs! IAMs in particular has done some pretty barbaric testing on dogs :(

Participating in the derail, whee! I adore EVO, that's the kibble our dog has been on since we brought him home as a fuzzy little puppy, so just had to throw in a plug for it.

It's the same with cat foods, our cats have been completely different since we switchend them from cheap food to Orijen, and I've had to do a lot less vacuuming up fur and cleaning up hairballs. Anything that saves me some housework is a beautiful thing. :D

Back on topic, I've been using a doggie soap that I bought online for Murphy's baths for a while now, and this is the list of essential oils the maker uses:

eucalyptus, lavender, lemongrass, peppermint, and tea tree oil

It doesn't smell bad, and I definitely like the smell better than the flowery or fruity shampoos.

Murph has the typical golden retriever coat, so washing him with the bars is definitely more time-consuming than it was with the commercial liquid shampoos. It takes a while to get him completely lathered up, and then you have to rinse, rinse, and rinse some more to make sure that it's completely rinsed off.

He has fairly sensitive skin, so I'm really cautious about not leaving shampoo or soap on his skin. Like Lindy said, soap residue is really bad for a pup's skin.

great! now I don't know what to feed my dog! lol :?

I used to make my own dog food by grinding up lamb and adding rice, carrots, peas, garlic, water, powdered milk and brewers yeast. I then baked it for about 6 hours, broke it down into daily portions and froze everything except what I needed that day. Then I would pull the bags out daily to defrost and feed. The dogs loved it, but I must say it was a lot of work. I've now switched to Royal Canin and I'm finding it to be a wonderful food. My cocker spaniel used to have spots in her coat that the fur just wouldn't grow and with this new food her coat is absolutely amazing. I've put my cat onto this brand as well and her shedding is way down.

Cheers
Lindy

ive got to find a good one for a cat!! wish i had a dog... soooooon enough!!! i told myself once i get certified LMT im buying / adopting a dog :)

Brave man Ian - I've only every had one cat that liked being bathed and he would demand it - that and being vacummed. Then after his bath he wanted to be put in the soft hat of an old fashioned hair dryer.....okay he was a very weird cat. A black siamese that weighed in at 20 lbs and looked like a baby panther.... :?

eucalyptus is really good at repelling fleas. Eucalyptus leaves contain chemicals that are toxic/discouraging to most potential grazers, which is why it great at preventing fleas from "grazing" on pooches :D
I use a eucalyptus and tea tree soap on our dog Paddy, makes for shiny fur 8)

Padj_body_SFP_40PER.JPG
[/img]

Lindy said:
Brave man Ian - I've only every had one cat that liked being bathed and he would demand it - that and being vacummed. Then after his bath he wanted to be put in the soft hat of an old fashioned hair dryer.....okay he was a very weird cat. A black siamese that weighed in at 20 lbs and looked like a baby panther.... :?

hehe yeaaah... he only gets a bath once and a while and def doesnt like it... he likes to watch me in the shower, but i think he is afraid to go in! i have scars!

Have you seen the video from America's Funniest Home Videos where the guy is trying to bath the cat and the cat is tearing down the blinds? Too funny and oh yeah I know about cat scars from bathing them - I've had to bath one or two cats who didn't agree with me....yikes

kaseencook said:
eucalyptus is really good at repelling fleas. Eucalyptus leaves contain chemicals that are toxic/discouraging to most potential grazers, which is why it great at preventing fleas from "grazing" on pooches :D
I use a eucalyptus and tea tree soap on our dog Paddy, makes for shiny fur 8)

Padj_body_SFP_40PER.JPG
[/img]

he reminds me of my dog!! :)... i miss him... he is up with my mom in NY... is that a shepard?? i think mine was a beagle/shepard mutt mix...:)

Now he's one cute little pooch, we had a boy named Peanut that looked just like him he was a jack russel x Chawawa (bad spelling I know lol).

Ian T: we use raw chicken mince, cooked rice and frozen mixed veg for our Livestock Guardian dogs, they do so much better on it than using the tinned food and occasionally if the chicken mince hasn't thawed out in time then we will put in a tin of dog food but very very little.
Once a month our girls like a change, they rufuse to eat if they don't get something different so we put flavoured stock water through the rice.

I love the look of those soap bones, my daughter thought they were real dog food lol.

Hehe, Paddy says Thanks (Ruff!) :lol: We got him at the pound and think he is part Jack Russel and Besengi. Very hyper and whiney sometimes :wink: Hummmm.... I wonder if that means we do animal testing! :shock:

Latest posts

Back