Peppermint EO in Facial Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

American Valkyrie

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm about to start my holiday soaps, and I have a half ounce of peppermint EO here. I was hoping to make my facial soap (100% CO, 20% SF, equal salt PPO) with the oil. I've used FO in facial soap, but never a peppermint EO. Does anyone have any experience with this, and have advice to offer?

Thanks!

I use peppermint often in bodywash I love the feel (warm tingle with a cool after effect) I do not use it on my face as it burns eyes and nose and lips on me so i would not use it JMO :D

I definitely would not use it in facial soap for the same reason - even in low concentrations it can tingle a bit too much. For facial, I'd go unscented or use something very gentle like lavender.

It isn't reccmended to use anything that dilates blood vessels in the skin of the face because it can cause capillaries to burst.

Peppermint essential oil irritates mucous membranes which is why it's not a good idea for facial bars. Also I think salt is too harsh for a facial bar as well. You really want something very low in cleansing numbers and high in conditioning. Goat's Milk is also a really good option.

That's the kind of input I was looking for. Thank you. The salt recipe I use is awesome for my skin, though I don't know how it would do for someone else's. It's pretty much cured my acne. I like goatsmilk on my body, but it's a little too rich for my face and causes breakouts.

Latest posts

Back