Patchouli Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beachgurl

Reaction score
My aunt is coming down ... she's an original hippie and LOVES patchouli (I really dislike it so I've never ever used it)... she's bringing a whole bunch of EO with her and wants me to make her some soap. How much patchouli EO should I use?? I make 4.5 pound logs with 52 ounces of oils. :?

I would say to use somewhere between 1 to 1 1/2 oz of scent per pound. Those are the guidelines I use. I think that ought to provide a nice, strong scent.

I use .7 oz/lb of Patchouli EO in my CP soaps. Patch is strong & has good staying power. I would never use as much as 1.5 oz/lb. The max is 1 oz/lb.

Thanx for the info guys. I'm not a patchouli fan like I said so I've never ever used it. Thanx so much for you help !! :D

beachgurl said:
Thanx for the info guys. I'm not a patchouli fan like I said so I've never ever used it. Thanx so much for you help !! :D

Yep, a little used to anchor another scent is all I can ever use. Just me, but I think alone it smells like moldy dirt.

mmmmmmm.........I love patchouli. Just send it to me and I will test it out for you.

Digit

digit said:
mmmmmmm.........I love patchouli. Just send it to me and I will test it out for you.

Digit

I LOVE patchouli, too!! I add just a few drops of grapefruit EO which gives it just a touch of a spicey edge. 8)

You can try Rainbow Meadows to look for a blend if you don't want straight patch.

I use patchouli quite often to anchor other e/o's. A little goes a long way. For my 2 lb. batches I'll add 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. along with about 6 - 7 tsp. of other e/o's. This way you get just a hint and its not overpowering. It goes well with many oils.

patchouli

even being a "child of the '70's" i always thought patchouli smelled like a cross between bug spray and bad socks--until i came accross www.libertynatural.com
they have a dark indonesian that i dearly love! a little spendy, but i have a bar of soap that's over 2 years old tucked away in my dresser that smell as great as the day i made it... i use .5-.7 oz ppo. depending if i'm blending with other ess/oils.

Straight, I use .5 to .7 oz. PPO too. :) Patch used as a base really works well to anchor most citrus scents that tend to fade quickly in soap. I use both the Chinese and the Indy Patch EO's.

Paul

patchouli

may chang (litsea cubeba) is the BEST true lemon for c/p! it does not fade, or morph..it reminds me of love's fresh lemon..(again from the '70's!) just strong,crisp and true...

Deda said:
Just me, but I think alone it smells like moldy dirt.
You have been smelling the wrong bottles!! :lol: Straight or in blends with vanilla and a few others........it is heavenly.

Digit

digit said:
Deda said:
Just me, but I think alone it smells like moldy dirt.
You have been smelling the wrong bottles!! :lol: Straight or in blends with vanilla and a few others........it is heavenly.

Digit

Haha! I've hated that smell my whole life!

You remember Dharma's mom from Dharma and Greg? That was my mom, and grandma. Exactly.

Now, Nag Champa - I got you covered there!

I can't do patchouli .. it smells to me like rotten PT shorts .. BUT since my aunt is like my mom, I can suck it up for her :) It really is one of those smells that you either love or hate.

Latest posts

Back