Patchouli + Citrus EO..... need ratio advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

What is a good ratio of patchouli to citrus EO (orange, for example) to get a nice blend, where one doesn't overpower the other... should I use more citrus than patchouli since it is prone to fading?

Can anyone share measurements that have worked well for them (1 oz ppo?)

Patchouli is a base note and citrus is a top note so you would use more citrus than patchouli. I use a ratio of 3:1 when I blend orange or lemon eo's with patchouli. The scent of grapefruit is not very strong so that would be 4:1. If I use a mix of citrus eo's then it's 3:1 with patchouli.

HTH

Thanks Gardener 8) I'll try that.

Rainbow Meadows... ah yes.... someone always sends me a link to that site when I ask questions about EO blends :p I have their site bookmarked and I do refer to it, but usually their blends are much more complex than what I'm trying to accomplish, and so not very helpful! Thanks anyway!

I use approx 1.5 oz. ppo in all of my soaps. It may vary a bit depending on the EO's. So for 100 oz. of oils, I use 9 oz. of EO. For a citrus patchouli blend that would be:

Orange - 5oz.
Lemon - 3 oz.
Patchouli - 1 oz.

Cut back accordingly if you want a milder scent.

HTH

Yes, it does. The citrus fades and the patchouli holds. You have to wait about three weeks for everything to meld, but then it smells yummy.

Keep me posted and let me how it turns out for you :)

Actually, looking at it I see my math isn't very good. It never was (sigh). That ratio is actually 8:1 but it should still work.

Latest posts

Back