Palm oil in liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnaMarie

Reaction score
I've put myself on a crash course of liquid soapmaking this year:) All was well until I started putting palm oil in my liquid soap (used a Catherine F. recipe). The results were a gloppy mess that I threw out. I decided I didn't like neutralizing, so I remade the recipe with zero lye excess. What I've noticed is the dilution seems to be messier with the palm oil- it doesn't dilute as well and these little foamy chunks are on top (excess fatty acids maybe????). Anyway, any thoughts or advice on Palm oil in liquid soap would be welcome:)
Best,
Anna Marie

A couple of years I made a bunch of single oil LS and one was 100% palm. It turned out fine but does not go clear, but did dilute fine. Do remember that not all ls dilutes at the same water percentage. When my ls dilutes but acquires a skin I add in more water. If I get several undissolved chunks I remove and dilute them in another pan of warm water.

Thank you, Carolyn! No my soap is not clear for sure :), but it doesn't matter for the purpose I have created it for. I read that Palm gives liquid soap "body" which sounded nice. Yes, I'm getting chunks with the palm oil, so I'll try your method:)

Best,
Anna Marie

Use Very Small Percentage of Palm Oil

When I make shower gels, I add in a very small percentage of palm oil, it does give body and helps prevent thinning of the gel in hot summer months. I only use around 1 to 3 % due to the unsaponables in the oil. A high percentage will keep it cloudy. I don't use palm kernel except in my bath gels in the summer months, makes it difficult to produce a clear soap and doesn't really provide any real benefit as far as my soap formulations go, except for the shower gels.

I recently made liquid soap with 20% palm oil. It turn out well. Dilute easily and crystal clear! :D

I add glycerin and sugar solution at trace. I did that because I'm curious.

If you want transparanet NaOH soap, you add solvent.
So if using palm oil will cloud the LS, I tried to add the solvent. It works. Beside it makes clear soap, it also cooked faster.

That is good information, thanks for sharing!

I recently made liquid soap with 20% palm oil. It turn out well. Dilute easily and crystal clear! :D

I add glycerin and sugar solution at trace. I did that because I'm curious.

If you want transparanet NaOH soap, you add solvent.
So if using palm oil will cloud the LS, I tried to add the solvent. It works. Beside it makes clear soap, it also cooked faster.

Latest posts

Back